The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Welcome to W8forum.dk! Introduce yourself here!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Anthenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welcome to W8forum.dk! Introduce yourself here!
    Posted: 05-Feb-2012 at 11:42
I just bought an '03 Wagon, Auto, Silver, Grey interior, (The South SHALL Rise again!), 72,320 on the clock. Rock Stock, one owner, complete maintenance history and Squeaky Clean CarFax. It has the 16" wheels, so I assume that means it doesn't have the "Sports Package".

I've always driven CRAP cars and bought Nicer ones for my wife. She has an '05 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster and an '08 Toyota Prius. (Always Budget the Luxuries First!    ) Well after my '97 Subaru OBW (Outback Wagon) clicked 325K miles, and my '88 Subaru XT6 had ANOTHER Major Malfunction(HeadGaskets aren't THAT Big of a Deal are they?!) she suggested I get something "Nicer", maybe in the $10K range. Since I figured I'd replace the OBW, I would need an AWD wagon! (Did I mention I have 2 HUGE Dogs? A Wagon is essential to their trips to the Park!) So I narrowed my search down to an L.L. Bean edition Subaru Outback, a Chrysler Pacifica, or a Pasaat Wagon with 4Motion. I did a Regional Search on Craigslist and found a Very Nice 2003 Passat Wagon with the W8 / 4Motion and only 72K miles! It was in Chicago, and I'm south of Indy (Columbus, IN). A bit far at first glance. I did my HomeWork and found the W8 to be intrigueing, and it started to sound like "The Car" for me! I found that there is a Shuttle Flight from Indy to Chicago every Hour for $150 one way. After negotiating a deal the seller agreed to have someone meet me at the airport, and return me to the dealership to Wrap Up the deal. Price of the car was $8700. Add in the $150 flight and the 4 hour drive home (10 Gallons of 93 Octane), final tally was $8900 delivered! Maybe not the Deal of the Century, but a Super Nice car, and well under my $10K budget!

During the drive home I noticed a "Shake" to the car at 75 MPH. But it would come & go. I thought it was the rough pavement at first, and it did smooth out once I hit a Smooth road. But it came back. And went away. No real pattern to it that I can find. It's hardly noticable, in fact my wife said she couldn't feel it while riding in the car with me. Also there is a noticeable "Clunk" from the front end when going over a bump in the road. Maybe they are both "Nothing" or "Normal".

At any rate I am LOVING this car. I plan on keeping her fairly stock. I put a K&N Filter on EVERYTHING I own, so that will be happening this Spring. And I'm not above replacing the Exhaust, or upgrading the cumputer/control module either! And a Set of "Fat Five" Audi rims wouldn't break my heart either! I think I've found my New Baby!
Cheers!
Tony in Columbus
02 W8 Passat Wagon
05 Chrysler Crossfire
08 Toyota Prius
99 Honda Valkyrie
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2012 at 16:59
Originally posted by SirRangeALot

That's a sexy GTI...but I think I've seen it before. You didn't join Projekt German by any chance did you?

I did probably a about a year ago. I dont post much, just every once in a while when there's something going on in Omaha that I try and get some of you guys to come to. Do you still have your W8, and is/was it a 6 speed? Every time I tell someone I'm getting a black W8 6 speed they go "Is it in Iowa?", haha.

Edited by srdavis872 - 05-Feb-2012 at 16:59
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2012 at 18:18
Originally posted by srdavis872

I did probably a about a year ago. I dont post much, just every once in a while when there's something going on in Omaha that I try and get some of you guys to come to. Do you still have your W8, and is/was it a 6 speed? Every time I tell someone I'm getting a black W8 6 speed they go "Is it in Iowa?", haha.

I knew it looked familiar. No I sold my W8 coming up 2 years ago in April. Since then my friend sold it to someone else here in my city. I still see it once in awhile. It was Tiptronic.

I didn't realize mine was that popular, lol.
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
MC40monster View Drop Down

Quote MC40monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2012 at 18:46
For some reason I didn't see this thread and did my intro over here.

New here from Ohio

As posted it is a 2004 bought it with 42,000 miles it now has over 56,000 miles. I drive it ALOT. I have always thought these were interesting cars since they were a real life experiment from VW. I'm very happy with this car and I plan on holding on to it for the rest of my life. As you can see from my sig it shares the Garage with a couple of other Vdubs and one MINI Cooper S. (Didn't post on sig per not a VW) Since I have joined just a couple of days ago I have learned alot about the car already and I'm looking forwarded to learning more.
2004 W8 Passat Variant Manual Trans.
2004 MINI Cooper S MC40
1990 VW Jetta GL
1960 VW Double Cab Pick-up
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2012 at 05:11
For nearly the past month I've been working with my bank and the previous owner trying to get this car. Previously the car lived in Duluth, MN (about 8 hours away). Finally everything feel into place and Lathan and I drove up last night and brought it home today. It's an amazing car so far. Everything seems so similar to my old GTI, but everything seems to be on another level of quality.

Day one:
Picking it up in Minnesota

Home (after getting a quick car wash)

Needs a couple little things and I need to find out why it's misfiring on occasion (just a few times the whole trip back, and wouldn't have even known if the CEL hadn't started flashing).

I want tint, exhaust, wheels, bag or coilovers, and that's about it really.
W8_4_Me View Drop Down

Quote W8_4_Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2012 at 16:41
Just bought a W8 on Feb 15. 03 with tip, smoooooooth as hell!! I hail from Olympia WA!!

Word!!
DwinW8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DwinW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2012 at 17:49
Name: Edwin
Hobbies: VDUBING (to the fullest), Drag racing (leagally), enjoying every day life.

2002 W8
color: ? ( really want to find out)
Transmission: Tip ( new TC and tranny completly rebuilt)
Miles: 135,xxx and going strong daily driven!!!

I can honestly say I have been in the VW family for 16 years and still counting!! Love it and would not change for nothing. First VW was a 96 GTI VR6 ( another money drinking machine). Second one to join me was my daily 89 GTI 16 valve DOHC lots of fun. Third was 04 GLI Jetta 1.8T. Sold two and stayed with my love VR6 fully built NA 300whp daily driver. It has been well over 6 months now and my first love has been sold to a new family will be missed always, replaced with a family car (09 XB). But then happines was found again when I ran into this W8. Paid $5000.00 with 115,xxx on cluster and found out it was serviced at a VW stealer that I know very well. Now I have dropped $1700 into her and going. Did the tuneup and found out I have to replace the valve cover gaskets along with the ones for the sparkplug channels, easy fix. I also have to get rid of the once in a while "death rattle", and a clueless noise coming from the shock, inner outer tierod, control arms don't know just know I have to fix it, and also now have to replace the fuel tank. Other than this I am in LOVE all over agian, great upgrade from the beloved VR6. Thanks to all you guys that have help me so far and hope to have her for many more years to come.

Upgrades to follow: Remove all tint( look so fancy and clean with out it)
18x 10 CCW classics all around with a nice streched rubber.
Some type of drop kit coils or shock spring setup
Full exhaust upgrade
Flash ECU

Enjoy the pics!!!!!

w8ingaround View Drop Down

Quote w8ingaround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2012 at 14:20
Hey guys, glad I found the forum. I just finished the process of become the owner of a 04 W8 Sedan. 137,000kms.

I went to a local dealership and was browsing cars. I was seriously only looking for a vehicle that would get me across Canada. I was looking at a few jetta wagons (not a big fan, but lots of room), looked at a few other B5 Passats, wasn't entirely sure what I was going to pick... Then.. I was leaving the dealership and BAM there it is... The w8 passat... I slammed my brakes on in the stone filled parking lot and jumped out of my Harlequin. I yelled at the sales man that I wanted to take it for a spin.. He let me... And I was hooked... Such a comfortable, sophisticated, quality vehicle... I went inside and signed the papers right away. Didn't even haggle the guy... I get to pick up my gem on Friday after safety inspection. Here are some pictures! (sorry its so dirty)

XR4Tim View Drop Down

Quote XR4Tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Feb-2012 at 08:42
Did the Canadian '04s not have turn signals in the mirrors?
'03 W8
MRAJB View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote MRAJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Feb-2012 at 14:35
I have an 04 and don't have the signals in the mirrors.   I think it was only on the 04.5 and the 05 non-W8 passats. :)

Edited by MRAJB - 29-Feb-2012 at 15:37
Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>