The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedGas Crisis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Crisis
    Posted: 25-Sep-2008 at 08:51
Here in the Atlanta area, and much of the SouthEast, we are still finding 6 out of 7 gas stations either shuttered or providing only 87 octane after Hurricane Ike. Although I don't drive much, and have about 3/4 tank left, I am concerned about this event and possible future events. "Octane Booster", essentially 110 octane aircraft fuel to be mixed with regular gas, has been available in auto parts stores for years. I've never used any, and don't know if it is leaded or if it will affect the catalytic converters and/or the oxygen sensors.

We are now under an EPA exemption to allow the introduction of higher sulpher fuel into the area. But, I'm really restricting driving my W8 and hoping this doesn't happen again. Your thoughts? Marco
Marco M. Pardi 2003 W8 SilverStone Grey Variant w/Sports Package, straight-thru exhaust & various extras.
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2008 at 09:40
I heard on NPR this morning that Ashville, NC has gas lines.
Knoxville prices have gone down some the last I looked, but leading up to Ike and immediately after a lot of station were dry.

I've only used octane boosters once. Years ago went camping and trail riding w/ the Bronco outside Helen, GA. Bronco wouldn't start the next morning. Eventually got it started but was running rough. Limped to a gas station and put in octane booster and it ran fine, was able to make it home. In the end it just needed a distributor rotor and cap - possibly aggravated by bad gas I suppose.

I know sulpher in fuel pollutes more - does it affect engine performance?

Marco View Drop Down

Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2008 at 11:21
Yes. A few years ago a shipment of "higher" sulpher fuel was sent to north Florida and south Georgia. I was on a trip down there and had to fuel up. Unfortunately, I got some and my gas gauge went completely nuts. 2 doses of Chevron Techron cleared it up, and I try to use Chevron Premium whenever possible.
Marco M. Pardi 2003 W8 SilverStone Grey Variant w/Sports Package, straight-thru exhaust & various extras.
Trevorswaine View Drop Down

Quote Trevorswaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2008 at 13:40
Think I'd try to avoid anything other than top quality fuel. Don't want to give our W8s the chance to throw any more error codes.

We had a problem here in the UK a year or so ago. The petrol from some supermarkets was of a poor quality (too much silicon?) and quite a number of cars had to have new catalytic converters. I believe that the supermarkets reimbursed the costs.

Hope no W8s from the UK suffered that.
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2008 at 19:06
Yes the same here in Thomasville Ga. Well I'm in jersey and they have their prices here really decent around 3.78 premium. Lol regular is like 3.43 I was like Nice...........
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2008 at 20:46
i had to wait in line today in the ATL. i'm ready for this BS to be over
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
Trevorswaine View Drop Down

Quote Trevorswaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 12:20
Don't forget it's $8 per gallon here in Europe for petrol and $9 for diesel.
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2008 at 10:46
UFFFFFFFFFFFFFF That is bad really bad. What is the deal is the the companies are not getting that much oil or they just want to sell it in a way they make twice the proffit?
 Post Reply Post Reply