Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedLow Oil Pressure Warning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote W8Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Oil Pressure Warning
    Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 09:52

Edited by W8Ben - 28-Oct-2008 at 20:38
ben View Drop Down

Quote ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 06:00
I just had a bad oil pressure switch replaced to my mother's Golf. The red light was there time after time, and the car even gave the Final Warning twice (buzzer came on).

My mechanic told me there's no worries if according to dipstick there's enough oil in the engine, the problem is most likely the bad switch. And he was perfectly right in this case: red light has been gone ever since the switch was replaced.

Hope it's the same with your car!

++ben

Ps. In the Golf there were actually two switches - one for low pressure and one for high pressure, so if the latter is faulty, that could explain why the warning appears when revs go up...

Edited by ben - 02-Oct-2008 at 12:14
* W8 Variant -02 / 341000 kms
Awesome Beast View Drop Down

Quote Awesome Beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 06:52
I would have been beating a path to my VW service reception ASAP or even sooner!

Let us know end result, hope the problem was a switch and nothing too serious.

Edited by Awesome Beast - 02-Oct-2008 at 12:54
W8Ben View Drop Down

Quote W8Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 07:16
Well I dropped it at my VW main agent yesterday with the warning beeper still going mad. I had it on the motorway that morning and it had been driving at operating temperature (therefore oil at its thinnest) for some 20 miles, then with the tiniest application of throttle the warning eventually sounded.
VW rang yesterday to say they presume the oil pump is at fault (?) but need $1000 labour upfront to strip the front of the car to get at it to test it.... Needless to say i'm going collecting it right now and will replace the high pressure switch if it has two (cheers ben). I'll bet VW fob me off with the oil sludging issue - which I believe only affects 4 cylinder cars?

I'll update when i've changed the sensor(s).

Regards,
Ben

Edited by W8Ben - 28-Oct-2008 at 20:39
Trevorswaine View Drop Down

Quote Trevorswaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 13:00
I don't think that's good enough from your VW dealer. You mean that they are asking you for £500 to see if it really is the problem that they think it is? What if it isn't, are they then going to refund you? I don't think so.

They're the ones that are supposed to know the answers. If they haven't been trained up properly on the W8, then that should be VW's problem and not ours.

Comments anyone?

And good luck Ben, hope it's just one of the switches.
W8Ben View Drop Down

Quote W8Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 13:47
My words exactly Trevor - thats precisely what I said. Got the car back tonight with a quote for $1200 for the oil pump which they say it 'needs', then approx $800 labour. After talking through the problem at length with the service manager, I discovered the car hadnt even been road tested - just put on diagnostics.
I said what if the oil pump doesnt cure it? What if it turns out to be merely the sensor - you'll take the pump off and refund me?. "No."
So start with the $1200 pump, then try the sensor?!! As predicted, they fobbed me with the 'we've had hundreds of passats with oil sludge causing this problem". How many W8's? "None". I said yep because its a different oil pump - plus my car has been main dealer serviced every 5000 miles so has never had anything but crystal clear/clean oil in it.

I just feel sorry for average joe, who doesnt have mechanical knowledge or the resources I have and has to stump up the bill everytime.

I'll update when the new switch is in.

Regards,
Ben

Edited by W8Ben - 28-Oct-2008 at 20:44
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 14:00
Originally posted by Trevorswaine

Comments anyone?

And good luck Ben, hope it's just one of the switches.

Comments : Idiots, greedy, or both. First question any modern mechanic should ask is: Is the low pressure warning really due to low oil pressure, or is the sensor/circuit bad?

Looks like there's one sensor on the oil filter/cooler housing. It costs about $20 in the US... you shouldn't have to move much to get to it. Swap it and see, then thumb your nose at the stealership if and when it fixes the problem.

Yet another instance of simple diagnostics being dead at dealers. Depressing.
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 14:03
I see I'm a little late on the reply. Oh well.

You should have asked him if the W8 had a turbo. (The oil sludging problem is only associated with the very common turbocharged VWs and people not using the right synthetics) His justification would have been amusing, if not criminally misleading. :)
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
W8Ben View Drop Down

Quote W8Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 16:10
That drawing/schematic is extremely helpful VWAffe, thanks a lot for taking the trouble to get it on here. How dare VW insist on the front of the car being dismantled to get to it?! I performed a major service on the car using my mates' pit and a basic socket set - the sensor in the drawing is accessible by simply removing the undertray.
A friend of mine has a 2006 Golf TDI at which the same stealership as I use have replaced the turbo 3 times after it blew each unit in quick succession. It would be easier and more cost efficient to diagnose the cause of said turbo failure instead of simply replacing blown turbos forevermore.
The lack of logical mechanical problem-solving and the mindless reliance upon computer diagnosis is shocking.

Regards,
Ben

Edited by W8Ben - 02-Oct-2008 at 22:13
alaskadub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote alaskadub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 17:33
Be carefull, Ben, and don't confuse low oil with low pressure. If the pump is tits up and you keep running it you may very well destroy a rediculously expensive and sensitive motor during the 'is it a switch' inquiry phase.

Don't hate me for this, but I must also point out:

Just because you serviced your oil every 5000 miles at the dealer doesn't mean that you are free and clear of the sludge issue. Ask me how I know. Warranty up or sell the car. Every repair you do from here on out will cost a minimum of 700 dollars.

I'll miss my W8 when I sell it for something that has better serviice behind it and that is less expensive to maintain. I have been unable to convince my wife to let me buy a 3000 dollar warranty and keep the car. Which is a shame, but that's how it is.

Good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>