Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedLow Oil Pressure Warning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote W8Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Oil Pressure Warning
    Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 04:07
Hi alaskdub,
Over the years I have become au fait with the symptoms and signs of a motor with low oil pressure which leads me to believe my W8 isnt suffering. After all, its just an engine at the end of the day, albiet a very expensive one, but it will still exhibit certain symptoms if it really did have low pressure. In regards to the sludge issue, please let me know your dealings with the matter, every bit of info helps. All I was saying was that the oil has never had a chance to sludge up or even blacken - so how the strainer in the pump (which is what VW told me causes the problem) could sludge up defies me.

Regards,
Ben

Edited by W8Ben - 28-Oct-2008 at 20:42
Trevorswaine View Drop Down

Quote Trevorswaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 12:59
The short answer to that is - it's poorly designed
alaskadub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote alaskadub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 17:38
W8Ben...glad that you are experienced and not just some average joe taking an oil pressure guess. I found some info on Hilite international's web site that suggests *to me* that they are designed in a manner that will make them extremely sensitive to pressure fluctuations and any minute amount of deposits. Small screens on the valve or low pressure will equal big problems, which is what the W8 public seems to be experiencing. Maybe we can find someone honest over there and figure it all out. My deal- oil changed mostly at 3500 miles, occasionaly at 5-6 thousand miles, and once possibly at 8500. I live in a cold climate and have the cam issue. Long way of saying the oil pressure thing you described was scary for me and I thought I'd warn you.

Good luck.
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2008 at 05:23
130k and no real issues....some cars are okay and some not. extended warranty cost me £300/$600 and covers me up to 150k with as many claims as it takes with maximum individual claim £5000/$10000.

All that gives me all the confidence in the world to rev the t*ts off my car all day every day
W8Ben View Drop Down

Quote W8Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2008 at 05:31
Thats sounds like a dirt cheap extended warranty to me!
In regards to progress on the car, in my impatience to wait for the new pressure switch I had a poke around the car to find how out how accessible it was to remove/replace the switch.
Needless to say, the front of the car doesnt have to be stripped like VW insisted it did - I could have merely taken the tow-eye cover off around the fog lamp and removed the lamp itself to gain ample access to the switch. However I removed the front right wheel and arch liner to shed more light on the area. To my horror/delight when I removed the electrical plug off the end of the switch, clean gloopy oil dripped out of plug!!! What the hell?!! All terminals cleaned up and a lengthy low-rev test drive later and (touch wood) no warning. How oil could get into the end of the sensor is beyond me but it looks as though it could just be the switch afterall. Fingers crossed!

Regards,
Ben
W8Ben View Drop Down

Quote W8Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2008 at 14:43
Update: New switch - completely cured. Thanks for all the help and advice guys
ben View Drop Down

Quote ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2008 at 12:45
Good to hear the problem was that small after all!
* W8 Variant -02 / 341000 kms
B5in View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote B5in Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2014 at 21:22
bump from the dead...

When I pull the oil pressure switch out is the oil going to come gushing out or just a little?
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2014 at 10:37
just a little as it's above the level of the sump
B5in View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote B5in Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2014 at 16:43
Thanks dmc, you were right just a little came out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12