Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedMIL and ASR light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gelroos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MIL and ASR light
    Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 18:21
Driving yesterday, light highway stuff (60 MPH or so) and the ASR light lit up...Pressed the ESP button several times, no go, stuck on..Then the dreaded MIL illuminated. No noticeable issues while on or driving. I have an appointment to get the codes scanned tomorrow, any idea what I may be in for?

2002 W8, 97156 miles.

TIA,

Michael
lyrinx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote lyrinx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 19:37
It can be everything, I had that light with ABS and Accelerator pedal issues.

First, ASR light shown that something is wrong. Then after couple times MIL illuminated because the problem was still there.

What happened after engine restart ? If ASR light go off you can try to figure out what is the problem (like braking, accelerating etc..).

Anyway best way is the VAG-COM. Let us know what happened.

Bart
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 22:29
Check your tire pressures. Uneven can trigger the ASR light.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
gelroos View Drop Down

Quote gelroos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2008 at 18:59
well, diagnostics all done and so far it APPEARS to be the only things wrong are an AirFlow Sensor and the "Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation, Bank 1 Sensor A" or P0016 code. My tech is a bit puzzled as to why the car seems to run fine, even though both sensors are toast. He stated that when both of these are not working right, the car should run like absolute hell, not feel normal. I told him to stop running the car and fix the sensors then lets' see if any other things throw a code or feel wrong.

New AF sensor goes in tomorrow, and we are waiting on the Cam sensor to be delivered.
gelroos View Drop Down

Quote gelroos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 09:42
So, as the story turns...

New sensors are in, they seem to be working fine, but now it seems the ECU is apparently shot (part # 04D906018E). So off to the Interwebs to find a replacement. OEM is $850 or so list, so if anyone has a suggestion where to get one cheaper, let me know.
gelroos View Drop Down

Quote gelroos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 11:14
Found a refurb from a place in MA called Borges Foreign Auto w/ a 1 year warranty for 161 plus shipping, waiting to hear what shipping is.
gelroos View Drop Down

Quote gelroos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2008 at 10:12
Final results: Oxy sensor, MAF sensor and ECU replaced. Found an ECU for 165 with warranty. Had to spend 250 from VW to reprogram the ECU to my keys :( All told, total cost well under $2K.
 Post Reply Post Reply