Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Cam Adjusters - Hilite International

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote alaskadub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cam Adjusters - Hilite International
    Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 03:50
These are the guys that built our cam adjusters. I'm waiting to hear from one of the engineers in a week or so. Do any of you have any design/engineering questions that you think would be helpful in un-ravelling our cam issues. One thing I plan on asking is if they redesigned our cam assembly and why. My other question is why they believe that using engine oil for the mechanical equvalent of a servo would be a good idea. If you have anything to add then respond here and I'll see what I can do. 10/9/08. Ultimately though, the more people that pressure through VW and Hilite on their own, the better. Last note - I talked with someone today from Hilite who either did not know or did not want to admit that Hilite made the cam assembly for our motor. When I mentioned that the picture was on their web site he became very quiet and did not acknowledge in either direction.

- Conspiracy theorist
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 10:26
Originally posted by alaskadub

My other question is why they believe that using engine oil for the mechanical equvalent of a servo would be a good idea.

...or why they thought it was a great idea to go 10,000 miles between oil changes. That might have something to do with it as well. I've always had my oil changed 2500-3000 miles, to hell with the 10,000 B.S.
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 14:54
Interesting.............
If they have any test documentation about the motor or cam adjuster. Or some kind of details of how they made it or text it.
alaskadub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote alaskadub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2008 at 00:57
from what I read the cam assembly operates similarly to a servo. Pressurized OIL operates the cam. I'm a helicopter pilot who's life relied upon servos and I can tell you this. 1) Servos have always been finicky and prone to problems 2) the idea of using engine oil to accomplish this task (flowing through a screen, no less) is preposterous.

copied from page 8 of the below link. Final thought...there is proof in this document that my trusted non dealer mechanic was correct when he said that he had replaced plenty of these assemblies on other Audis. Luckily for them the asseblies are in the FRONT of those engines.

"Another important compontent in the
camphasing system is the proportional
valve. It controls the pressurisation of the
rotor with pressure oil. In order to clamp
the rotor pressurised from both sides immovably
in an intermediate position, the
system uses return valves.
As in the cylinder head ther is not always
sufficient space for a return valve seat,
Hydraulik-Ring has developed a valve into
which this function has been integrated.
Apart from that they also use valves with
fine filters with integrated ring channels."

http://www.hilite.com/fileadmin/Pictures/News/Brochures/nwv_0507_1_en.pdf
gforce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gforce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2008 at 00:43
I would be interested in knowing if there is some preventative action that we could be taking. If they made a change to the design, they could be aware of a way to make failure less likely. These are the people that should know if the ideas that get posted (Seafoam, more frequent oil changes, or whatever) could actually help matters.
2010 CC VR6 4Motion Black/Black
2003 W8 Tip Sedan Black/Black - Traded In
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2008 at 02:13
What about always going fast every where you go, the motor is always going to be working hard and that means the oil is going to be everywhere so you must likely don't run the chance of having a cam adjuster brake down. The first cam adjuster issue I hurt it was because the car was in idle for more than 20 minutes well for a long time the oil didn't made it to certains area at that low Rpm. If the motor don't have a chance to always being at low rpm that way the motor circulate more, It may prevent cam adjuster problems.

I'm not a mechanic or have any idea how it works but that makes sense to me in a way.
I'm trying to not leave the motor in idle for so long. I read that on the car's manual.
Trevorswaine View Drop Down

Quote Trevorswaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2008 at 13:55
To add to alaskadub's original post, that was a very strange response from Hilite. To deny all knowledge of something and then to clam up when shown that it's public knowledge must mean that there's been a problem for them. First guess is that they've been shouted at by VW who made them redesign it properly, and at their own expense. That would mean that VW would have had no problem in a recall for all W8s prior to the redesign.

We've lost out here, guys, if my hypothesis is correct.

It's more evidence if anyone is to take up the issue of a class action.
straightw8 View Drop Down

Quote straightw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 23:21
I'll keep this in mind as I continue looking into legal recourse.
Trevorswaine View Drop Down

Quote Trevorswaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 13:37
might even be worth printing off the relevant pages from Hilite's website - just in case they decide to "redesign" it and then deny all knowledge.
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2008 at 22:37
Whaz the progress on the W8 is it fix yet?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>