The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedTDI mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TDI mod
    Posted: 27-Oct-2008 at 15:21
If it was my choice a fast R32 or a fast Passat im sorry it would be a Passat anyday.
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2008 at 15:52
Thank you.
The_Supervisor View Drop Down

Quote The_Supervisor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2008 at 23:30
I'm simply remarking on the paradox of taking an engine out of a car built for speed and putting into a heavier car not necessarily built for the track. For all intensive purposes an R32 engine would be redundant in a passat when they offer the R36. Also I was also just putting it in your head that the W8 engine in a passat would probably not accomodate a turbo due to lack of space, you also have to take into consideration position of the intercooler, a higher flow intake, oil lines and a larger oil pan, an oil cooler, inlet pipe, and worst of all the exhaust manifold/turbo manifold. That has to be custom made and I know there probably isnt room for a turbo in that engine bay. Same concept applies to the new RS4. It's a cool concept, so is swapping a 7.0 litre corvette engine into my jetta, truth is though, it just wont happen.

To make a long story short, you cant go around turboing and supercharging every performance engine there is. It's a ridiculous exclamation, albeit creative, nonetheless lacking any real point.

I realize however this is a passat oriented forum, and I can appreciate that, I think Jeremy's passat is one of the sweetest cars I've seen. WITHIN REASON I think it'd be cool to drop a unique engine into the engine bay of a passat. I think whoever came up with the v6 tdi idea is onto something though.
VTEC: All the turbo lag without the turbo

2003 VW Bora 1.8T

-Cody
JMCXTY View Drop Down

Quote JMCXTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2008 at 23:43
Originally posted by The_Supervisor

I'm simply remarking on the paradox of taking an engine out of a car built for speed and putting into a heavier car not necessarily built for the track. For all intensive purposes an R32 engine would be redundant in a passat when they offer the R36. Also I was also just putting it in your head that the W8 engine in a passat would probably not accomodate a turbo due to lack of space, you also have to take into consideration position of the intercooler, a higher flow intake, oil lines and a larger oil pan, an oil cooler, inlet pipe, and worst of all the exhaust manifold/turbo manifold. That has to be custom made and I know there probably isnt room for a turbo in that engine bay. Same concept applies to the new RS4. It's a cool concept, so is swapping a 7.0 litre corvette engine into my jetta, truth is though, it just wont happen.

To make a long story short, you cant go around turboing and supercharging every performance engine there is. It's a ridiculous exclamation, albeit creative, nonetheless lacking any real point.

I realize however this is a passat oriented forum, and I can appreciate that, I think Jeremy's passat is one of the sweetest cars I've seen. WITHIN REASON I think it'd be cool to drop a unique engine into the engine bay of a passat. I think whoever came up with the v6 tdi idea is onto something though.

You would have to consider this if you had a major engine problem and got stuck with a w8 rolling frame chassis.
Jamie

black 2002 W8 variant tip with sports pack
The_Supervisor View Drop Down

Quote The_Supervisor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2008 at 00:07
Originally posted by JMCXTY

You would have to consider this if you had a major engine problem and got stuck with a w8 rolling frame chassis.

Every car is a potential rolling frame...keep in mind that often times when people visit forums like these they get the idea that the vehicle isn't all that reliable or has a lot of problems. The error in that is that most people go to forums like these for answers they can't just find out on their own or by reading a book. You see a bunch of threads asking about "so and so is going bad" or "my so and so is no longer working" because that's what a forum is for. You have to take into account all the owners who have had few to no problems with their car.
VTEC: All the turbo lag without the turbo

2003 VW Bora 1.8T

-Cody
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2008 at 00:08
Originally posted by The_Supervisor

You have to take into account all the owners who have had few to no problems with their car.

*raises hand*
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2008 at 10:51
I don't think putting a turbo on a W8 is realistically feasible. The "best" idea I heard was that possibly a Veyron turbo would bolt up (with major surgery to make room), but I'm thinking Veyron turbos would go for more than an entire W8... not a whole lot of used ones laying around. Supercharger? - probably doable, but I think the intake manifold would have to be removed and IMHO, that's the coolest looking piece in the engine bay

Point of reference, the W8 already has an oil cooler and it takes a total of 9 quarts of oil... shoot it even has a power steering fluid cooler. Pretty much everything is cooled: alternator, transmission, etc. - which leads me to believe there is much more heat build up in the W8 engine bay than 1.8T and V6 Passats.

Edited by rustybronco - 28-Oct-2008 at 16:54
02passatw8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2008 at 14:26
We have a power steering cooler?
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2008 at 14:38
actually the 1.8T and V6 engines have it too... i just looked up the part numbers for laughs. - they call it a "cooling hose". It is part of the return line and is mounted in front of the radiator near the bottom.
02passatw8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2008 at 16:49
Thats sweet. Who the hell has a power steering cooler? How is our alternator cooled by the way?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>