Forum Home Forum Home > Members > USA - Central
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Cody -- Dubuque, Iowa, USA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Stymie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cody -- Dubuque, Iowa, USA
    Posted: 10-Nov-2008 at 22:25
Thanks for the warm words of welcome fellas! I gotta log out, can ya believe it? A customer just called! 9:25 PM local time, gotta go earn my bread and cheese.

I'll see ya soon.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2009 at 01:35
Wow...no update here since late last year? I guess I better update my build thread...

The spring/summer really didn't bring too many changes. Most of you know I'm rocking Fat 5's for my summer set...

I decided to debadge, which I now wish I did a long time ago. The back flows so much nicer now especially with tinted tails.

I got rid of the badgeless and put the stock grille back in (sans the W8 badge). It looks much better.

I replaced the fog light bulbs with Hoen xenon-match bulbs. At first I was trying to figure out why I would drop $30 for a pair of fog lamp bulbs, but I'm happy with them. They give off much more light than the stock bulbs.

I painted the lower grilles to match the rest of the car (they were a dark gray color). It didn't go too bad for my first paint job, but I noticed there are some spots starting to chip off already, so I'm sure I'll be redoing them after the winter.

Some of the better pics as she sits today: (oh, and I finally invested in a better camera -- Sony CyberShot H20.)

These were taken a few hours ago:

From a month or two ago:

Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2009 at 08:50
that's about as good as it gets. bravo!
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2009 at 10:22
Thank you!

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2010 at 21:32
New summer set...not sure if I like them yet, lol.

Close shave anyone...anyone? Bueller?

These are Merc AMG reps...18x8.5 +35 offset on 235/40/18 Kumhos.
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2010 at 06:35
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
TheAutoTech View Drop Down

Quote TheAutoTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2010 at 23:54
Just registered here! New to the forum and just wanted to let everyone know I'm the guy who recently purchased the car. I figured since Jeremy already had this going I would just continue where he left off. :)

At this point I basically plan on picking up where Jeremy left off. First order of business will be going over the braking system and upgrading and replacing where needed. At this point I'm thinking:

Hawk Performance Ceramic brake pads
Brembo blank rotors
Some type of stainless steel brake lines
Brake flush and fill with Castrol GT LMA
Paint brake calipers and rotor hats

Basically just a small brake upgrade. Going to stick with the stock brake setup as it considers of 4 piston fronts and large single piston rears. Ceramic pads means less dust and longer rotor life as well as being more quiet. No cross-drilled or slotted rotors as I want long pad life and no worries about rotor cracks or failure. Stainless lines just to replace the stock rubber ones before they fail. I wanted to paint the rotor hats so that they don't rust and will continue to look nice, same goes for the calipers. At this point I'm thinking of going with a darker red color like the TT brake setups.

As far as fluid goes I wanted to use Castrol GT LMA. I wanted a fluid that wasn't really thirsty and would hold up for a while and that had a good price. The LMA stands for low moisture absorption, meaning it's not going to hit it's wet boiling point after a year or less. Also, this isn't a compressible fluid, so it's very daily driver friendly also.

If you guys have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
"A pedestrian is someone who thought there were a couple of gallons left in the tank." ~ Author Unknown

- Cody T.

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2010 at 02:45
I changed the thread title accordingly. Hope you're enjoying the car as much as I did. I couldn't think of a better owner to continue the great life of this car.

I've never heard of cross-drilled/slotted rotors becoming cracked. Is that common?

Painting the calipers was on my list but never got around to it. I would suggest just doing black or a dark gray. I find if you paint them a brighter color, they will just show dirt and it'll just be another thing you'll have to worry about keeping clean.

All of this, of course, is just my .02/mile.
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2010 at 08:16
Congrats, Cody - and welcome to the club! Great to see the car carry on with an enthusiast.

re: drilled rotors... they can spawn hair line cracks at the holes, especially if repeatedly overheated. Better quality rotors will have the drilled holes slightly chamfered to help thwart against cracks - but it can still happen.

Edited by fitzski - 26-Apr-2010 at 08:17
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
TheAutoTech View Drop Down

Quote TheAutoTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2010 at 18:54
Thanks for the kind words Jeremy. So far I'm enjoying the car a ton. It's such a big step up from the Civic. It's nice to be able to put 4 people in it with room to spare and still be comfortable. Also, the W8 power and 4Motion drivetrain was great when we were on the interstate in the pouring rain. :)

Yea, there's a good example of the cross-drilled rotors cracking. You generally don't have any issues with slotted rotors besides the fact they wear pads faster and that you can't machine them properly. Also, from what I've seen they tend to warp faster due to less surface area to dissipate the heat. Like I said, I'll just stick with blanks to be safe here.

As far as painting, I was thinking the red, but I think I may go with black to keep the overall theme of the car. Since the car is black with chrome accents I think it would be best just to do the calipers and rotor hats in black also to keep the mean look. :)

Where are you guys purchasing your brakes from?
"A pedestrian is someone who thought there were a couple of gallons left in the tank." ~ Author Unknown

- Cody T.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>