Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

NGK Spark Plug Clarification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AlexDrivesAW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NGK Spark Plug Clarification
    Posted: 12-Nov-2008 at 19:25
I've been chipping away at the 80k maintenance and came across a discrepancy in spark plug part numbers.

I didn't want to get manhandled by the dealership who wanted 11 and some change for each spark plug, so I did a bit of digging and found that I could use the following:

NGK BKR6EKUE (NGK Stock # 7892) or the
NGK Iridium IX BKR6EIX-11 (NGK Stock # 3764)

The above was sourced straight off the NGK.com website if you just filled in your vehicle specifics.

I decided on the Iridium plugs since the price was still significantly less than the stockers and NGK showed them as being a better performing plug.

My confusion came along when I noticed the difference in gap. The vehicle specific page showed the plugs as being OE gapped at 0.032". However, when I searched around to order the plugs, different places had the same plug model/stock # as being gapped at 0.044". To make things even more confusing, if you go to the NGK.com website, and type in just the part number, 3764, into the part number search, hit more info, it shows the same plug as having a 0.044" gap.

So I gave NGK a call, and the kind tech quickly apologized for the confusion and gave me and different part number and stock number:

NGK Part Number: BKR6EIX
NGK Stock Number: 6418

Note that the '-11' has been removed from the part number, and the stock number is entirely different, but go ahead and search, I assure you this is definitely the right plug.

------
I haven't used the NGK Iridium IX BKR6EIX-11 (NGK Stock # 3764) so while I can't confirm this is the wrong plug, I can't confirm its the right one either.

Has anyone personally checked the gap on these plugs?

Oh, as an aside, with the new iridium plugs in, the engine unmistakably has a smoother idle on cold starts.

-Alex

-Alex
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2008 at 22:43
But did he tell you what the gap was on the "new" plugs (NGK Part Number BKR6EIX, NGK Stock # 6418)?

I put in Iridiums, the p/n on the box is BKR6EIX-11 (NGK Stock # 3764), and I checked the gap on each of them at 0.032". Everything running great so far...!
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
AlexDrivesAW8 View Drop Down

Quote AlexDrivesAW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2008 at 23:09
Originally posted by fitzski

But did he tell you what the gap was on the "new" plugs (NGK Part Number BKR6EIX, NGK Stock # 6418)?

I put in Iridiums, the p/n on the box is BKR6EIX-11 (NGK Stock # 3764), and I checked the gap on each of them at 0.032". Everything running great so far...!

Somehow I forgot to include the most relevant piece of info, but yes, he specifically told me the 6418 was gapped at 0.032".

I guess we have can use either plug then.

Thanks for clearing it up fitzski.
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2008 at 00:07
Just the same... I wonder what the difference is between BKR6EIX/6418 and BKR6EIX-11/3764 -- just an update to their catalog numbering, or are they different plugs?

Hmm... see here (as one reference):
http://forum.lotuselancentral.com/viewtopic.php?p=90183
I found out that 11 stands for GAP distance of 1.1mm [aka 0.043"]. The BKR6E's GAP distance is of 0.9mm [aka 0.035"].

Now, I gapped mine myself because that's what I do with spark plugs...

I can't recall offhand if my -11 plugs were all over-gapped when I set them to 0.032" or not, but that's what I set them to.

Edited by fitzski - 13-Nov-2008 at 00:07
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
Corwin View Drop Down

Quote Corwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2008 at 00:49
You can't gap Iridium plugs, the metal is too stiff and brittle and they will probably break or not move at all. I did mine and I think they were the -11 plugs, and all is good. You have to get the right ones out of the box.

Edited by Corwin - 13-Nov-2008 at 00:50
Corwin View Drop Down

Quote Corwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2008 at 00:51
Let me rephrase that, you SHOULDN'T attempt to regap Iridium plugs. DO NOT MANUALLY GAP IRIDIUM PLUGS.

Hope that helps.
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2008 at 08:58
I've always used the NGK BKR6EKUE (NGK Stock # 7892) plugs and never bothered to adjust the gap.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2008 at 16:04
So some of us are running 0.044" gap, some of us are running 0.032" gap on the Iridium plugs, nobody with any apparent problems. No doubt there is a range for the gap, so I'm guessing 0.032 is the low end, and 0.044 is the upper end.

For the stock plugs that Tom is using, the Bentley spec is 0.4mm to 0.6mm, fyi.

As to gapping Iridium plugs... well, to each their own. If you're not comfortable with it, then don't do it, and most likely the plugs are plenty fine. For those that do, NGK doesn't have a problem with it:
Originally posted by NGK web site

Q: Do I need to set the "gap" when installing a new set of plugs?

A: Maybe. A spark plug part number might fit hundreds of different engines from many different manufacturers. Although the NGK factory will set the gap to a pre-selected setting, this may not be the right gap for your particular engine. The incorrect plug gap for your engine can contribute to a high rate of misfires, loss of power, plug fouling, poor fuel economy, and accelerated plug wear. It is always best to check the gap against the manufacturer's specifications. If adjusting the gap on fine wire or precious metal plugs such as platinum or iridium be very careful not to apply any pressure or prying force to the fine wire center electrode or insulator as they can be damaged. The gap should be adjusted by only moving the ground electrode.

Link
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
Marco View Drop Down

Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2008 at 17:29
I replaced my plugs at 40K with Iridium. I'm not looking to cheap out here, but - on principle - shouldn't Iridiums last more than 40K?
Marco M. Pardi 2003 W8 SilverStone Grey Variant w/Sports Package, straight-thru exhaust & various extras.
makattkd View Drop Down

Quote makattkd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2008 at 20:47
I think you will find the -11 means 1.1mm metric (0.044in), without the -11 its a gap of 0.8mm metric (0.032in).

Its quite normal, but you should ALWAYS check the Gap of plugs before putting them in.

IE my current car uses BCPR6ES, but if they don't have them in stock i can get -11 and gap down. There is no difference.

Plus Iridium is rubbish if your changing your own plugs. The point of iridiums is to reduce service costs if your paying to get them changed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>