The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedPolished intake manifold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polished intake manifold
    Posted: 17-Nov-2008 at 11:39
Friday night I was looking at a guy's VR6 Corrado w/ a polished intake manifold and thought why not do this to a W8's? The intake is already pretty impressive, would be a lot of work but would look pretty awesome shiny! And on the B/S side of things - it would reflect more heat and keep the incoming air cooler right... hehe. (FTR - I don't think it would affect air temperature to a significant degree.) Under the plastic cover there is a small section that is machined and has a polished look to it.

Anyone brave enough to try this w/ somewhat a rare/expensive intake manifold? How do you all think it would work out?

Stymie View Drop Down

Quote Stymie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2008 at 15:36
I gotta say Jon, I am awaiting the results of your manifold polishing with interest. IIRC, the manifold has a finish that wouldn't seem to be easy to polish to a shiny state. Mine is too hot to touch right now, I've just returned from a two hour trip. I'll take a feel of it later today.
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2008 at 20:37
would look amazing!
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2008 at 20:40
All you need to do is find a W8 that is toast and pop off the intake.

Or just do a little bit at a time. Eventually it will look great.

Edited by B5crazy - 17-Nov-2008 at 20:41
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2008 at 21:05
I do not think the problem is the finish, as much as it would be not being able to use your car while doing so. The finish is no different than the manifold I had on my MK3 2.0, or a VR6. The difference is, you can pick up a spare manifold of one of the 2 for next to nothing, work on that, and then swap it in, in about an hour. With our W8's there really aren't an abundance of extra manifolds laying around.

I was contemplating doing this not to long ago also, but Im not entirely sure if it is a good idea. Our crammed engine bays, have already been brought to their peak cooling from the factory/design. With a 2.0 or VR6 engine there is still plenty of space/ventilation & cooling, so the reflected heat has some place to move around & ultimately out. The question on ours, is where is the heat being reflected to, & what is it going to affect.

Dont get me wrong, I am not a worry wart, and not the type of person who screams, "dont touch/mod it, its going to explode!!", I have made many mods already (exhaust, ecu flash, coilovers, possibly intake...if Mike/UU8 shares his secret schematics/plans ), but the polishing thing, left me thinking about heat dissapation in that already tight bay. Which also led me to the idea (if I get around to it), of just color matching & powdercoating the manifold to the car, which I think would look pretty good as well, and shouldn't change any engine bay temps.

Edited by JimmyPringles - 17-Nov-2008 at 21:07
Corwin View Drop Down

Quote Corwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 13:38
Mr. Pringles brings up a good point. A smooth, polished surface does not bleed heat nearly as well as a rough one. The surface area created by the rough texture of the stock manifold is probably 2x what it would be polished. Just something to keep in mind. And those of you witha CAI setup this would probably completely negate the effect.
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 15:02
Originally posted by Stymie

I gotta say Jon, I am awaiting the results of your manifold polishing with interest.

I'm not planning to actually try it myself... maybe in the future. I was just curious if anyone had considered it or what people thought of it.
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 15:34
Originally posted by JimmyPringles

I was contemplating doing this not to long ago also, but Im not entirely sure if it is a good idea. Our crammed engine bays, have already been brought to their peak cooling from the factory/design... The question on ours, is where is the heat being reflected to, & what is it going to affect.

I personally don't think it would affect the temperature of the manifold to a degree that would hurt or improve performance... I do agree that a rough surface bleeds heat better, as does a darker surface. So rough surface bleeds heat better because it has more surface area, and also possibly b/c it promotes turbulent flow. In this case I think turbulent flow is a given... The reduction in surface area is interesting, and might be more than I think... but I still don't think it would make an appreciable difference in temperature. If the manifold was reflecting heat I think it would primarily be reflected to the underside of the hood - a dark surface immediately above the manifold. Even if it did increase overall temperatures the cooling system should have enough additional capacity to account for it.
I think surface finish would be more critical on the engine block itself where heat is more of an issue.
Perhaps some research is in order on ideal intake manifold finishes! If I find anything I'll report back.

no offense intended by the long discourse... I get a kick out of these type of discussions!

Originally posted by JimmyPringles

Which also led me to the idea (if I get around to it), of just color matching & powdercoating the manifold to the car, which I think would look pretty good as well, and shouldn't change any engine bay temps.

Powder coating would be pretty cool with the right colors! You have red accents right?
___/ __/ _/ View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote ___/ __/ _/ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 18:41
*cough....cough* At the drawing board....cough.
"I agree that the W8 is a great car--when it works... "
-dstathos-

^Pure Genius! Why didn't I write that?!?

JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 00:49
Originally posted by rustybronco

I personally don't think it would affect the temperature of the manifold to a degree that would hurt or improve performance....If the manifold was reflecting heat I think it would primarily be reflected to the underside of the hood - a dark surface immediately above the manifold.

I dont think it would affect the overall temp, but again more so where it is reflected (hood). Obviously, heat rises, and while there is some black insulation there to protect the hood/paint, Im not sure the extra amount being increased (reflected) will be bad or not matter at all. Our bay doesn't have quite the vacuum suction from underneath (like smaller engines with greater gaps & spaces) to overpower the rising heat, and instead drag it out & away.

Even if it did increase overall temperatures the cooling system should have enough additional capacity to account for it....

Im sure this would be no different, than driving ones car thru the desert on a 110 degree day, in the sense that the car & cooling system should be able to handle it. Trying to keep it shiney would probably be more headache than anything.

Powder coating would be pretty cool with the right colors! You have red accents right?

Yep, I have big ridiculous red wheels. Which reminds me I need to take some more pics, as I am going to be taking them off in a coule of days, to throw the winter set on (stock Madras).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>