Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Auto Transmission unique to W8?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 0000VW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auto Transmission unique to W8?
    Posted: 28-Nov-2008 at 22:07
after owning my W8 for a short 2 months the transmission started going. it is at the dealership and will be coverd under warranty. the warranty company is willing to replace the torque converter but upon further investigation it was determined that the whole tranny is toast. the warranty company wants to put a used one in it but my question is if the auto tranny's are unique to our cars or is it the same tranny for the 6cyl and 1.8t tranny? the reason why i am asking is because since the car is unique they will have a hard time finding a used one forcing them to have no choice and put the new one in.
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2008 at 22:12
a new one would be best! but i believe that the automatic transmission is shared with an Audi A6 2.7TT (maybe an auto 2.7 S4 as well)
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2008 at 15:45
The Tiptronic is an O1V (AWD) that is used in the 1.8T and V6 4Motion Passats - the TC is different, GAK for W8s.
I would imagine the same TC (GAK) is used in the Audis
Lucky folks have the O1E (AWD) 6 speeds...
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
akdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote akdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 15:13
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that people who just bought a used low mile W8 suddenly have expensive problems. At least the stealers usually eat the cost. On the downside, though, the resale value is sliding - check autotrader. 4 cyl with same mileage is the same or more $$ resale. Disappointing.
Corwin View Drop Down

Quote Corwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 15:50
Just keep yours in good condition and all the deadbeat ones will be gone in a few years, making your nice one more valuable. As with all cars, the W8 will devalue. But unlike most cars, the W8 is also very rare, and the more rare it becomes the higher the value will go.
Stymie View Drop Down

Quote Stymie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2008 at 00:03
Originally posted by BlueSteW8

...Lucky folks have the O1E (AWD) 6 speeds...

I am reading about the torque converter issues with interest. I feel bad for my friends and stable-mates, who're having so many TC problems.
Originally posted by akdub

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that people who just bought a used low mile W8 suddenly have expensive problems. At least the stealers usually eat the cost. On the downside, though, the resale value is sliding - check autotrader. 4 cyl with same mileage is the same or more $$ resale. Disappointing.

I've just finished celebrating two years of W8 ownership. I bought both of my cars with low miles on them. The first car had 21,500 miles on it when I purchased it. The second car had 34,500 miles on it. I may be unusually lucky, but I've had no major issues with either one of my W8s. Some nagging little things (all covered under warranty) but my cam adjusters are working fine, and I don't have a torque converter on this W8. My first one had a Tip, which is why I don't own it any more. I don't concern myself with the resale value. If I do decide to part with the car, it will be traded in for a nice set of Challenge or Champion wheels.

Originally posted by Corwin

Just keep yours in good condition and all the deadbeat ones will be gone in a few years, making your nice one more valuable. As with all cars, the W8 will devalue. But unlike most cars, the W8 is also very rare, and the more rare it becomes the higher the value will go.

I couldn't agree more.

Edited by Stymie - 04-Dec-2008 at 00:18
akdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote akdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2008 at 03:22
IMHO There are two types of W8 owners. Those who have had the Torque converter or Cam Adjuster problem, and those that are going to have (one of) them. Good on you for having the Stick - just don't roast the clutch. Rumor mill says that could entail a high dollar event too...go figure.

I miss mine. But not so much that I was ready to put 10,000 dollars into rebuilding an engine on a car that was worth no more than 12,000. VW backed a lot of people into the corner on this one.
Stymie View Drop Down

Quote Stymie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 01:16

...just don't roast the clutch. Rumor mill says that could entail a high dollar event too...go figure...

Clutch replacement = $4000

I've already looked into it.

I'm salting some money away just in case. The clutch is considered a wear item, not covered under warranty.
Stymie View Drop Down

Quote Stymie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 01:34

IMHO There are two types of W8 owners. Those who have had the Torque converter or Cam Adjuster problem, and those that are going to have (one of) them...

In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I already have the "new and improved" cam chain tensioners/adjusters. The previous owner was an outfit called VWoA. The car was driven by one of their executives. The entire engine was replaced at 28,000 miles. I bought the car with 34,500 on the odometer, 6500 on the engine.

Happy? Oh, hell yes!
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 13:07
Originally posted by Stymie

The previous owner was an outfit called VWoA. The car was driven by one of their executives. The entire engine was replaced at 28,000 miles.

One would think this would open VW eyes to some of the too common issues with the W8!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>