The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedBAD NEWS !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: BAD NEWS !!
    Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 21:30
Now now, guys. Let's keep the ankle-biting to a minimum.

Trevor, I'm sorry to hear about the dreaded P0011. Did you try resetting the CEL and a fresh oil change? I know it sounds ridiculous but it's worth a shot, considering it's worked for many people (myself included, although it was P0021) and for the fact you want to junk it without exploring alternatives. I also would encourage you to stick around here, W8 or not. I don't want to lose any insight or perspective in the W8 World; you guys are too valuable to lose! Many people on PassatWorld have moved on from cars other than Passats (sometimes even VW/Audi) and they continue to participate.

Corwin, I understand your point my friend, but I also see the other side of the coin. I've been there. This is my first VW. I learned about this site and the "horror stories" AFTER I bought the car, but of course I had an extended warranty at the time. Live and learn. People that have not owned a particular brand of car unfortunately do their research *after* the fact (myself included). I now know that if I purchase a car that's not a VW, Jeep, Dodge, or Ford (cars that I've owned in the past), I will most definitely do my research before purchasing. Also, who's to say that the extended warranty would even cover the whole job? Most only cover only up to a certain dollar amount, labor hours, etc.

And Trevor, please do stick around. You're a good guy.
Stymie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 23:14
Originally posted by SirRangeALot

...I also would encourage you to stick around here, W8 or not. I don't want to lose any insight or perspective in the W8 World; you guys are too valuable to lose! Many people on PassatWorld have moved on from cars other than Passats (sometimes even VW/Audi) and they continue to participate.

...And Trevor, please do stick around. You're a good guy.

Yep Trevor, the votes are in, they've been counted, recounted, miscounted, and discounted. We'd like you to stick with us!
straightw8 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 23:59
trev- would you consider parting with your ECM? (if you do ultimately decide to part it out...)

But all said, stick around.

Edited by straightw8 - 04-Dec-2008 at 00:00
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2008 at 00:50
Originally posted by Stymie

Yep Trevor, the votes are in, they've been counted, recounted, miscounted, and discounted.

...much like your state's Senate race, even as we speak. Methinks it'll get worse before it gets better.

/OT
ben View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2008 at 04:50
Originally posted by Trevorswaine

It's happened. P00011. Both banks. Warranty has run out. The repair cost substantially exceeds the value of the car so it's going for scrap.

Really sorry to hear that
* W8 Variant -02 / 341000 kms
Trevorswaine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2008 at 06:58
Thanks for your concern some of you.

To reply to some of the points. I am a VW owner, and this is my 4th. The previous 3 have been little trouble. The first had to have a new carburettor and nothing else in 70,000 miles and 5 years; the second a new temperature sensor and nothing else in 55,000 miles and 4 years; on the third, which was new, the door handle fell off on the 3rd day, and other than a recall for something else on the brakes, almost nothing else other than lots of depreciation over 3 years and 60,000 miles.

I can assure you that BMWs are substantially cheaper and more reliable than the W8 by a factor of at least 5 and I had a top of the range BMW, the 540i.

Why shouldn't we blame VW? They sold an expensive car with a major fault in it and a known fault at that and have done nothing about it. At the price they were selling for new the potential customers would be really discerning and would expect a car of high quality. Any car manufacturer's first priority is surely to sell something reliable or they don't get a repeat order.

Don't get your heads in the sand too much guys. Even if you've got a warranty it won't necessarily pay the full amount - mine wouldn't have by far anyway - and it's not just the cost of the car going wrong but the inconvenience of having to sort it all out, especially if the warranty company won't play ball as I've seen on this forum.

Reset and change of oil? It had only just been serviced a couple of months before.

The most annoying thing isn't the cost although that's enough - it's the waste. VW could have done so much with this car.

Anyone in the UK, let me know if you want any bits off it, it will probably be gone in a couple of weeks. Wheels/tyres are good as I said at the start, also the Bentley book.

rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2008 at 08:31
Originally posted by straightw8

trev- would you consider parting with your ECM? (if you do ultimately decide to part it out...)

But all said, stick around.

I don't remember if your W8 is tip or manual, but there's a tip ECU/ECM on ebay right now.

edit: actually, i just went and looked, it's gone. sale must have ended

Edited by rustybronco - 04-Dec-2008 at 08:51
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2008 at 08:49
Trevor, sorry to hear about catastrophic W8 problems. I think you can get more than scrap prices for it - though I don't know how to find potential buyers.

Originally posted by Trevorswaine

Even if you've got a warranty it won't necessarily pay the full amount - mine wouldn't have by far anyway...

I've looked into warranties some over the years. None of the ones available to me would pay more in total repairs than the car is worth (understandably). I figure prices on repairs seem to go in increments: $2500, $5000, $11000. I knew from the start they would all balk on $11,000 and after a couple more years $5000 too. $2500 is not much more than the cost of a warranty so I decided to take my chances.
Corwin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2008 at 13:40
My warranty has covered over $3,000 so far. They can't walk away from the car unless they are willing to total it and give you blue book. Then you buy GAP insurance with your lender to protect the difference.

And that's assuming you've got a $15,000 repair bill all at once. If you have a warranty and they try to pull that BS on you, and there's no total claim limit in the disclaimer, sue them. My bumper-to-bumper, 100,000-mile warranty was $2,100 when I got the car. It's already paid for itself and then some. I'm totally relaxed about any problems the car might have down the road, knowing it will be taken care of. There's a right way and a wrong/easy way to do everything. I wasn't trying to be harsh or mean, but as in life in general, you get what you pay for.
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2008 at 15:33
I dont understand the need to scrap it. Put another engine in it (1.8T, V6, 2.7TT, etc.).

Except for the engine, our cars are almost 100% no different than the rest of the Passat models, so any other failures sans engine would be typical of the car model anyway. It wouldn't be all too difficult (and substantially less $$$), to put another engine in although it would obviously no longer be a "W8". If the car is otherwise immaculate though why not? That is, unless you just feel like moving on into something else.

...but all cars, I dont care if they are VW's, BMW's, Honda's or Chevy's have problems & suck. If one decides to be a car person, you just realise & deal with the fact, that the "suck" is going to come along, and be an inevitable part of your life.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>