Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Found: Camshaft Adjuster Fix!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Found: Camshaft Adjuster Fix!!!
    Posted: 21-Jan-2009 at 07:22
try it without the v=0 on the end - a la

fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2009 at 08:09
Great find Nate - thanks for the effort you put in to bring it to our collective!

Some of the experimenting seems to confirm my own suspicions - that the screens are unnecessary, esp after the initial break-in period, and that the problem could fix itself and operate per usual.

I wonder if 9v is enough? Something easy to keep in the glovebox.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2009 at 08:54
Originally posted by RobG

It would be nice to see a pic with the engine in the car and the pigtails exposed.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2009 at 11:42
It appears that in some cases, 5V is even enough, since the Output Test has been known to fix certain cars. I'd say try 5V first, then step it up to 9V or 12V if necessary.

When I get mine going again (clutch still in work), I'm going to run the output test and see if it makes a difference with the occasional shudder/stumble at idle.
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
straightw8 View Drop Down

Quote straightw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2009 at 14:26
Originally posted by B5crazy

It would be nice to see a pic with the engine in the car and the pigtails exposed.

that isnt 'exposed' enough for you??

straightw8 View Drop Down

Quote straightw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2009 at 14:28
Originally posted by RobG

thanks Rob!
cocaire View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cocaire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2009 at 11:36
with this i can sleep a little better at night...cant to see a diy
03 W8 6MT
Tog Bog e
JMCXTY View Drop Down

Quote JMCXTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2009 at 14:54
Great timing just had to tow my car for a hour after throwing code and going into limp mode. Same symptons as my last month long period off the road when passanger side cam adj got replaced. Here we go again...
Jamie

black 2002 W8 variant tip with sports pack
akdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote akdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2009 at 22:32
I'm looking forward to hearing the first success story on this forum. I just traded my W8 a couple of months ago and wanted to kick myself for that after reading that a possible cheap fix might be in. But then the 'treg was in for service at my trusted mechanic and he updated me that my W8 has been wholesaled three times since my trade and that the tranny has just taken a dump (which would be the second time for this vehicle). After getting the news I felt much, much better about my decision making techniques. All that aside I'm hoping this new 'fix' works and happy motoring to you all - I still truly miss my exotic little wagon.
unimogjohn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote unimogjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2009 at 21:06
This is just a FYI. I have now way to validate the information, but on the Fourtitude Forums:W8, there is a discussion that the VW emissions warranty of 7 years/70K miles covers the cam adjusters and sensors. Two people indicated that VW is covering their repairs. Again, just information to discuss with your dealer if your car is still under warranty.

John in VA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>