Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Found: Camshaft Adjuster Fix!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote akdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Found: Camshaft Adjuster Fix!!!
    Posted: 28-Jan-2009 at 05:07
All you have to do to verify the info is open your owners manual. It is in book one under a special emissions warranty section for California. It is indeed 7 and 70. The guys on the other forum likely got the info from an earlier post of mine on this forum.
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2009 at 10:47
The emissions warranty is something owners are very naive of and dealers are conventiently forgetfull about. I've known several people told by dealers that their cat needs replacement and given a high estimate for the repairs. Once owner brings up the emissions warranty suddenly the dealer says all the work is covered.

Note: these were non VW dealers.

Here is a good place to start.

Edited by B5crazy - 28-Jan-2009 at 10:48
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2009 at 11:56
Reading through the link you posted; I see ECU falls into the 8 year/80,000 mile components.

Thanks for the link, bookmarked it.
32Vquad View Drop Down

Quote 32Vquad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2009 at 13:33
I tried this today. I used a 9V first. It was very clear that the actuators were firing with the "electro shock thereapy". I applied the voltage about 10-15 times or "clicks"... Re-assembled and it seemed to make a very small difference. There is still a pretty wicked shimmy at idle and a very unpleasent vibration above 4k rpms. I will try with the 12V...any sugestions for 12 volt source other than the car's own battery?...the "pigtails" are quite small and i am concerned with arching.
thanks.
f o u r l i t e r s o f f u n!
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2009 at 15:27
I think that some of the larger lamp batteries are 12v used in like camping gear and such. Or if you have any model trains the little variable speed transformers off of them offer a wide range of dc current.. Really interested to hear how this turns out for you. *everything crossed that can be*
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
straightw8 View Drop Down

Quote straightw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2009 at 15:32
you could also go to radio shack and pick up some test leads. that would give you some better precision and control, because they havce nice pointed, slender tips.
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2009 at 12:16
Originally posted by 32Vquad

I tried this today. I used a 9V first. It was very clear that the actuators were firing with the "electro shock thereapy". I applied the voltage about 10-15 times or "clicks"... Re-assembled and it seemed to make a very small difference. There is still a pretty wicked shimmy at idle and a very unpleasent vibration above 4k rpms. I will try with the 12V...any sugestions for 12 volt source other than the car's own battery?...the "pigtails" are quite small and i am concerned with arching.
thanks.

Don't jump to blaming cam timing for all vibration issues. There are other things that could do that (broken balance shaft belt for one).
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
Nugene View Drop Down

Quote Nugene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2009 at 22:13
I'm so ready to try this. Do I have to drop the engine to perform this
task? I'm concerned about my warranty company covering this. Also, my local VW dealer doesnt honor my warranty company
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 13:58
First, you ought to see which fault codes are being generated... if it has something to do with the cam adjusters, this procedure may free things up and fix it.

You only need to open the hood. If your cam adjusters are already "kaputt", you've got nothing to lose. No need to share what you try with your VW stealer or the warranty co.
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
Nugene View Drop Down

Quote Nugene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 14:14
Yes, my mechanic said there was a cam code. If this procedure does not
fix this, would they then be "kaputt"? The local vw mechanic has read up on this topic. He has not done it before, (only replacements) but is willing to try for a small fee...Anything else I might need to know before I authorize this? And thanks for all the input.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>