The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Electronics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: lock/unlock on switchblade key no longer works!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

lock/unlock on switchblade key no longer works!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote workingcat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lock/unlock on switchblade key no longer works!!
    Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 21:56
The buttons on my keys no longer perform any function whatsoever. I tried both keys, and even changed the batteries in them. I've waited a month before asking this. I was waiting for it to magically fix itself vw style but no go. Any suggestions on what to look at for this problem? Thanks! SM
2003 W8 Variant 6MT Urban Metallic Grey
lyrinx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote lyrinx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 22:33
I think you need to re-program the key.
As I remember if you have two keys you can do it by your self or maybe even with one (check the manual or google)

If it dosen't work you have to buy a new one at the dealer (or buy used one and try to re-program it)
straightw8 View Drop Down

Quote straightw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 13:47
yes sounds like you need to reprogram. There's a step by step in the manual. Takes about 2 mins, tops.
wokwhisk View Drop Down

Quote wokwhisk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 23:34
Sadly, my remote has never worked as well as the one I had for my B5 V6 2.8 5MT. (I could open that car from my back porch!) I think I once read of someone refitting his Passat with a Touareg antenna to receive the signal from the key fob...seemed a bit extreme, but I guess it worked!
-Jake
2004 6MT
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2009 at 00:55
Once reprogrammed, does it help with the signal or not? Seems like mine is getting weaker by the day...
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2009 at 01:28
You dont know how much it pisses me off, that my fathers piece O'crap 98 Hyundai wagon can be locked & unlocked from a mile down the road, and my W8 wagon I basically have to be within arms reach.

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2009 at 01:31
^^ Hear Hear! My gf's 02 Grand Am GT is the same way, but it's a step up from a Hyundai.
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2009 at 09:04
Not sure if the Passat is the same as the Jetta (I presume so, and will get around to verifying at some point...), but extending the antenna helps considerably.

On the Jetta, the antenna runs from a connector under the dash, and up the A-pillar, terminating just short of the roof. Tapping into that wire and extending it the length of the car (tucked behind the headliner, all the way back, and down the C-pillar) makes a big difference. I've done it on two Jettas with great success.

There must be a related reference on PassatWorld.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
straightw8 View Drop Down

Quote straightw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2009 at 14:53
is the keyless antenna seperate from the diversity? where would it be located in ours?

I recently switched to my secondary fob after the orginal broke. (little metal clip at bottom broke off, so keyring wouldn't stay on) I reprogrammed, and it seems to help with the range. But, I think it has to do with battery life.

Does anyone know how to pop the fob apart to change the battery??

Edited by straightw8 - 11-Feb-2009 at 14:53

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2009 at 22:07
Originally posted by straightw8

But, I think it has to do with battery life.

I don't think it has anything to do with the battery. I changed the battery in my fob and it's about the same -- maybe even worse.

Originally posted by straightw8

Does anyone know how to pop the fob apart to change the battery??

Replacing the battery

Replacing the battery pt. 2

Reprogramming keyless entry

The first link shows and goes through taking apart a B5 fob, but they're pretty similar. HTH.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>