The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Electronics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: lock/unlock on switchblade key no longer works!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum Lockedlock/unlock on switchblade key no longer works!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote wokwhisk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lock/unlock on switchblade key no longer works!!
    Posted: 11-Feb-2009 at 22:59
nope. yup. it ain't the battery, I tell ya - it's the damned antenna!
-Jake
2004 6MT
straightw8 View Drop Down

Quote straightw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 15:40
Originally posted by SirRangeALot

The first link shows and goes through taking apart a B5 fob, but they're pretty similar. HTH.

Thanks. I was wondering about that, but now I see how it works with the slot being inside the key-seat on the side.

I would also imagine that battery strength HAS to have at least something to do with functional range...
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 19:11
Well when I replaced mine, hoping the battery had something to do with range, it didn't solve the range issue. I pretty much have to be standing right next to my car in order for it to go off. Kinda defeats the purpose of having keyless entry, no?
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 12:06
Yep, there are plenty of reasons why I like having extended range...
1) Oops... I forgot to lock the car and now I'm 50' away... click.
2) I programmed my windows to go up/down with the remote, and man, it's hot out, click - hold - windows open and venting.
3) I programmed my windows to go up/down with the remote, and it looks like it might rain, click - hold - sunroof down.
4) Almost inside now, and my wife forgot something... well I'm not going back! Click.
5) Hands full... want to unlock doors/hatch and get key back in mouth/pocket before I get to the car so I can open it.
6) Son thinks I have magical powers - way more convincing from further away.

2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 14:29
Fitz, does this mean you modified the antenna, etc., somehow to respond better? If so please share. I tried searching PW the other night (about extending the remote antenna wire in the car...as mentioned here), but didn't come across much info.

Edited by JimmyPringles - 13-Feb-2009 at 14:29
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 19:52
Haven't done it on the Passat, but I've done it on the last two Jetta's. Made a big difference.

Found this thread... but wow... sounds bit more involved than tapping into a wire (the procedure on the Jetta)!
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89118
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12