Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Torque Converter - Again...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin
Admin

Online Status: Offline
  Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torque Converter - Again...
    Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 05:14
Hi All.

I was just wondering how all of you - who have had the TC replaced - found out it was necessary?

My car has started to "choke" when accelerating in certain gears. I'm 99% sure it's not an engine issue. It almost feels like how it'd react on a car with manual transmission, when the clutch is worn.

I've previously had the transmission fluid replaced, and I'd be very annoyed if that were the case again.

Theres ~3000 miles left on my extended warranty.

Edited by spinner - 21-Feb-2009 at 05:16
unimogjohn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote unimogjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 08:20
Spinner, just had my converter replaced at 43K. As a new owner it happened just a few days after I bought the car. All it did for me was throw a check engine light. First visit to the dealer they said it was a bad speed sensor and replaced it. Took it home and within three miles from the dealership the check engine light came on again. We went on a 600 mile drive the next before I could get it back in. The light was on the entire time. Took the car back in, and they said torque convert seal had gone and time for a in warranty replacement.

Honestly, I could not feel or sense any difference in how the car ran when we got the car back. But free is free, and I feel much better that it has been done. The dealership was great, but it took two weeks to get the car back. They had to wait a week for the part from Germany.

John in VA
Manowar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Manowar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 09:53
Same experiences as John, mine went at almost the exact same milage. (this was after cam adjusters at 37K). Threw a light and I went right away but never felt ANYTHING different. No slippage, noise or vibration-nothing.
During the work, I saw the car on the lift and they have a wonderful cradle that the entire engine/transaxle sits on under the car. Saw the old TC too sitting on the floor. The only good thing is you get all new fluids when you need this.
Also kept car over two weeks. I insisted the shop manager take it home over a weekend and use it before giving it back. All's been fine for 10K now.
Manowar
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 14:12
Hey Mr. Man O War, if you dont mind me asking, where do you live in LI, and where do you go to get your W8 serviced?
Manowar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Manowar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 16:02
Live in Manorville. Bought new from and USED to be serviced at Donaldsons in Sayville.They're $104 an hour.
Got any friends there?

Edited by Manowar - 21-Feb-2009 at 16:03
Manowar
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2009 at 16:21
Wow, you're out there. The only thing I know about Donaldson's, is that they host the 3 Bugs in Barrel show every year.

I bring mine to Bayside VW (Queens), I have only brought it in for minor things, but one of the head techs there knows his stuff...not just with the W8 but all VW's.

Prices are the same just like any dealership, but I know his work and work ethic are top notch (he had a MK2 Jetta, that he did a VR6 swapon, with all wheel drive...complete custom fabrication. he had it for sale last fall Show N Go). So I would trust him, to the job right if I ever needed anything that I couldn't do myself. Albeit that would be a bit of a drive for you.

Edited by JimmyPringles - 22-Feb-2009 at 16:22
Manowar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Manowar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2009 at 20:41
Thanks Jim for the lead. But Donaldsons has become a 25 miler 1 way. (I used to live 15 miles away from them) Always needed a loaner for more than a days work. So I'll get inspections locally and handle maintenance myself. There is a dealer in Riverhead, 7 miles away but I've never been there. (yet)
I had a great tech at D's who was the only guy they let do W8's and Phaet's. Excellent work, smarts, and always left the car without a mark or fingerprint-like it was his own. He did the engine-out cam adjusters, t/c, a radiator and brake r&r plus normal maintenance. I'll really miss him but it's just not convenient or economically smart anymore.
Manowar
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 14:11
Originally posted by JimmyPringles

Wow, you're out there. The only thing I know about Donaldson's, is that they host the 3 Bugs in Barrel show every year.

I bring mine to Bayside VW (Queens), I have only brought it in for minor things, but one of the head techs there knows his stuff...not just with the W8 but all VW's.

Prices are the same just like any dealership, but I know his work and work ethic are top notch (he had a MK2 Jetta, that he did a VR6 swapon, with all wheel drive...complete custom fabrication. he had it for sale last fall Show N Go). So I would trust him, to the job right if I ever needed anything that I couldn't do myself. Albeit that would be a bit of a drive for you.

Wow, and you give ME grief for going off topic.
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
Manowar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Manowar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 14:37
Sorry Sir, will PM any further chit-chat.
Manowar
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 15:43
Originally posted by Manowar

Sorry Sir, will PM any further chit-chat.

lol, no not you man, Jimmy. He gives me a hard time about going off topic, I was just giving him crap back.
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>