Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > The W8 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

The Custom Exhaust Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Custom Exhaust Thread
    Posted: 05-May-2014 at 03:07
i know i have said many times i have the stock middle muffler .. i really need to take pics and cut it open to see if the center / middle muffler is a crossover type ... phuc i keep forgetting .. and it is to late to do it tonight .. ggrr lol
poop
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2014 at 00:36
ok so i took the middle muffler out today and got the grinder to open it up to debunk the myth of it being a xros pipe so to speak ...

well my grinder does not have the safety block on it as i took it off a while ago for another project .. and well i got bit by it .. a piece of metal grinder shoot of the old wheel and went through my arm and landed on my pants lol .. luckily it was a small piece and it was a through and through lol
beginning injury lol

the magical muffler in question

here is a shot of the inside .. it is a strait through design and has perforations on the inside of each pass through

i did not open it up all the way as the mettal is super thick but i cut a slice open directly accross the middle from one side to the other

so in summary and what i see is that yes the two are connected .. however they are only connected by a "fiberglass, insulation,sound absorbing material and air space so in essence yes the two sides are connected just not by a crosspipe .. but by a shared muffler   

so something like this

but with two pipes going straight across like a straight pipe ..
poop
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2014 at 00:44
so judging by what i see and feel and what ot yes the two exhausts sides do offer some help to each other and if one was to put a through and through dual in dual out ( no crossover) muffler it would be more beneficial to the motor and sound and performance but only if you are willing to spend $$$ on the muffler ..
poop
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2014 at 00:53
or something liek this could be used to replace it if one wishes
poop
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2015 at 21:06
So i finally got a recording of my exhaust at a car meet today, someone else recorded it for me.

Pipe diameter remains the same as stock, although it is now stainless and runs from the front flexis straight back to the stock rear mufflers/tips.

The end result is pretty much bang on what i was after, slight burble when sitting idle, fairly quiet till around 2500 rpm then it gets all shouty and loud. Means you can cruise at 60-80 and it doesn't drone in the slightest in the cabin, after that it gets a bit louder.

It's currently a FB movie, let me know if there are issues and i'll see about getting a copy downloaded then hosted on uchoob.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=864201350285935
VilleS View Drop Down

Quote VilleS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2015 at 13:50
User: VilleS
Material: Stainless steel
Diameter: stock 2"
Crossover: Magnaflow X-Pipe
Center boxes: No
Rear boxes: 14" Ferrita boxes
Tailpipes: Ferrita quad tips
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Cl97D0euA
SeaHunt View Drop Down

Quote SeaHunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2015 at 02:25
wow
That sounds great :)
KurtBCP View Drop Down

Quote KurtBCP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2015 at 01:59
Please could someone tell me if the pipe section before the suitcase resonator is actually a factory crossover as it looks like it when I'm under the car?
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2015 at 19:40
It is simply the pipes welded together, they do not cross there. But they are supposed to cross within the resonator. Not a true crossover where flows actually connect, but they are able to equalize a bit through the packing.
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2015 at 19:42
don't think I ever posted this in here, but redid the cutouts. THIS is the best way to do them. They're completely tucked up, and are powered by vacuum so open and close much quicker. Flaps are from a b6 S4, and an exhaust shop redid everything resonator back.

Edited by srdavis872 - 02-Aug-2015 at 19:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>