Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Electronics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

OBD code P0597

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Everlauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OBD code P0597
    Posted: 07-Mar-2009 at 16:04
I have had good luck with my 2003 W8 wagon as a 2nd owner so far. I only have one issue. My engine light is constant on and when I scan it I receive the error code "P0597". Also my cruise control works for about 1 hour and then it cuts in and out. Anybody any ideas?

2003 Passat W8 Wagon - You either love the W8 or you hate them. Nothing in between.
cantw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cantw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2009 at 16:28
According to the following site, it's something to do with the thermostat.

tdi club
2003 W8 Variant, 6MT, Blue Spirit Pearl / Gray

Everlauri View Drop Down

Quote Everlauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2009 at 17:22
Thank you. It depends where you look for that code. In the manual I received with my scanner, the code means: Cruise Control Circuit Disconnected. That would explain my cruise control issues. It has been at a VW dealer several times and they never figured out what the issue is.

Hope someone seen this and can point me in the right direction.

2003 Passat W8 Wagon - You either love the W8 or you hate them. Nothing in between.
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2009 at 22:29
What are you using to scan with? Any chance you could pull & post the VW code? P-codes can be pretty generic.
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
Everlauri View Drop Down

Quote Everlauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2009 at 14:26
All I am using to scan the OBD2 code is a regular OBD2 scanner. I can only view and erase the code, that is it. I might be able to get the VW code, but it will take a while. Thank you for your help. Any idea on the cruise issue?
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2009 at 09:59
If you had the car at the dealer for the issue, they should have scanned it. Check your invoice from the dealer for a 5-digit code.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2009 at 13:42
P0597 is the code for Thermostat Heater Control Circuit - Open. AKA the ECU is detecting an open circuit in your thrmostat control wiring, or in the heater element in the thermostat.

A few have had it done, fitski being one. I'm about to work on/replacce mine myseelf in the next couple of months.

If you have to pay to get it fixed, it isn't super cheap, but it's nowhere near the order of magnitude of a cam adjuster or torwue converter repair.
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
Everlauri View Drop Down

Quote Everlauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2009 at 20:41
Hello there,

thank you for everybody's help so far. I bought the vehicle about 6 Month ago and pulled the dealers record. This car had all the typical things done to it (cam adjusters, transmission, PVC valve...). Also have I noticed that it has been at the dealer at least 6 times for the cruise control issue, but it was never repaired. I will try to get a VW code. As far as the P0597 code, is there a write up on the temp sensor replacement? I also bought a extended warranty and it is still good for another 30,000 km. Maybe the dealer can have a look at that code. I just don't think there are many good W8 technicians out there (at the dealership). Any thoughts, let me know. Anything will help.

Thank you.
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 08:05
Well, you may be right, re: lack of experienced mechanics, and so I can understand your hesitation. But if you're under warranty (is that VW certified pre-owned (CPO) warranty, or third party?), then they should be fixing the issue.

With the thermostat being a known issue on these cars (and not a cheap part), you'll want to get it resolved on the dealers dime for sure.

I can't see how a thermostat issue would be related to the cruise control. Whatever is up with the cruise may not be W8-specific... maybe looking around at Passat World would yield some clues.
Passat World

Also, member jstutz is in Banff with his W8... not sure where you are, but maybe he has some advice on where to take the car.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
ben View Drop Down

Quote ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 09:04
Originally posted by Everlauri

I just don't think there are many good <overline>W8</overline> technicians out there (at the dealership).

Grr / *sighs*...

My dealership replaced the driver's door for my W8 -> I had to revisit the carage umm 4 times before they finally got it right - and all Passats have the same kind of door.

Again, the dealership replaced the antenna for my car umm thrice(!!) before they finally got it right -> again the job had nothing to do with W8 expertise.

Well, my cam adjusters & stuff were replaced in a friendly independed carage that had no W8 expertise at all -> everythings works SO WELL!!

And guess which one had chepear labor / hour ...

++Ben
* W8 Variant -02 / 341000 kms
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>