The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Valve covers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Valve covers
    Posted: 20-Mar-2009 at 14:24
I would HIGHLY recommend the Bentley to anyone.
I bought mine when I had my V6 4Motion, and it has paid for itself many times over.
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
KansasCityW8 View Drop Down

Quote KansasCityW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2009 at 23:59
Not sure if you done this yet but let me give you some advice. I did this job on my w8 a few weeks back and it was pretty straight forward, bentley does a good job with the description.

First advice, Watch those pins that connect the lower and upper manifolds. When i pulled my upper manifold off, one of the pins was barely hanging from the gasket between the two manifold. That scared the sh*t out of me because it was very close to dropping down into the engine and then boom, i would have been toast. Besides the fact that its the worst possible design flaw by VW (2 pins, neither are fix) and something that everyone who considers pull the upper manifold off need to pay close attention to.

Second, once you get the upper manifold off, you will have a hell of a time pulling the left (bank 1) valve cover. All the bolt, except one are very accessable. The one that is not, is the one in the far upper corner (near the front of the engine on the far left side) and it in such a tight spot that you will have to rig some sort of small tool to get in there.

Unless i missed something, it took me over an hour to get this one bolt lose. What i ended up doing was taking a torex bit and fitted it to a very very small wrench.

The other side (bank 2) is much easier to access all the valve cover bolts, you just need to losen the coolant reservor a bit so you can fit your socket wrench on each of them. The is a PIA part to this side though. Getting the solenoid harness on this side is a bit tough. There is no much clearance and you might have to losen or move things around in order to get them off with out busting the plastic harness clips. If i can help at any other point, let me know

Shaun

Edited by KansasCityW8 - 21-Mar-2009 at 00:02
Shaun

02 Passat W8
01 Jetta 1.8T
tommygunns View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tommygunns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2009 at 09:28
Thanks guys, you guys have been very helpful.
02passatw8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2011 at 00:24
Now If I wanted to replace the cam sensors is there anything that has to be removed. I do no understand why you would have to pull the engine, while the sensors are in plain sight!!!!!

dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2011 at 19:49
If the cam adjuster unit needs replaced then the pulleys need to come off to get the adjusters off. To do that u need to reset the timing chains and timing and that can only be done with the 3 covers at the back of the engine off. When I get back home I'll stick some picture up
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2011 at 20:12
Just thought about what u were saying and I think you are maybe talking about just changing the solenoids(the black bits with the wires). These are non replaceable parts and only come as part of a new cam adjuster assembly. If you ty and take them out by undoing the torx then beware as they are easily damaged and if there are adjuster issues then it can be anywhere from the solenoids to the adjusters to the pulleys
02passatw8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2011 at 00:14
Oh ok thats what I was wondering. No I was just replacing the valve cover gaskets and was like huh they are right there why is this such a huge job. Thanks!
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2014 at 13:47
Hi folks... I'm looking at tackling this job, and just a couple of questions. First off, I picked up what I presume to be the proper gaskets:

- Valve cover gasket: (cyls 1-4, passenger side) 07D 103 484C
- Valve cover gasket: (cyls 5-8, driver side) 07D 103 483C

(Items 18 and 19 here.)

They look like this:

I haven't seen any mention of these, including in the Bentley instructions (that I posted, 5 years ago!). However, I do note that sealant (D 176 404 A2) is mentioned in the Bentley instructions; I've used this sealant on oil pans, where there is no separate gasket. I presume that sealant is what the orange "film" is in the picture above (though the VAG sealant I've used is white)?

So - do I need these gaskets?? Is there a channel for them in the valve cover, as there appears to not be one on the valve head? Just to make sure I know what I'm in for, and don't get caught with a torn down engine and the wrong or missing parts in hand.

I also have the spark plug bore gaskets to do at the same time. Hoping all of this resolves my burning/leaking oil issue.

Cheers,
Fitz

Edit: Actually, I just noticed that the Bentley instructions do provide the following:
Always replace cylinder head cover seal if damaged or leaking

Edited by fitzski - 02-Apr-2014 at 13:52
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
i03w8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote i03w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2014 at 16:57
Yes, you will definitely need the gaskets. It comes the whole set, valve cover gasket and 4 spark plug bore gasket. You should also order the cam position sensor gaskets.

I used RCV red sealant on one valve cover gasket and one without. I think they both are fine. But you will need a little bit RTV sealant between the small gap over the corner of mounting surface.
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2014 at 17:44
Thanks; that's some piece of mind.

I'll probably "take my chances" on the cam position sensor seals; it's a good point, but not having seen them mentioned previously, I presume they are generally OK, and I don't have them at hand. That being said, they do appear to be a common part (p/n 066 109 091A), so if I decide I want/need them, hopefully the local dealer has stock.

I used RCV red sealant on one valve cover gasket and one without. I think they both are fine.

I may be confused by how the sealant is to be used - IME, the sealant is run as a bead around the valve head (making sure to encircle the bolt holes!), and then proceed with assembly. However, are you suggesting that the valve head gasket/seal itself be coated with the sealant, in addition to running a bead on the valve head? What about running a bead on the valve head cover as well, prior to installing the seal?

But you will need a little bit RTV sealant between the small gap over the corner of mounting surface.

I will watch for that.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>