Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

W8 thinks its an airplane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote flea121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: W8 thinks its an airplane
    Posted: 28-Oct-2009 at 16:58
I don't have my Bentley manual in front of me, but maybe there is a way to test it from the wires since it's an electric component?
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2009 at 09:57
Yea it is located right under the manifolds but from what I read the labor was still around 400-600 bucks so you'll be lookin at around 1000 ish from the dealer to replace it.

Also from the pictures I saw you would have to take the manifolds off to get to the wire, if you already had them off *shrugs* might as well replace it yourself. And it does have an electrical component to it, the heater, it is also a standard Tstat and it may or may not be the electrical part that has failed. Tstats tend to fail "open" so it may not be the heater that failed.

Dude trust me I know it sucks not knowing 100% but thats the way it is with any car. I'm questioning mine as well.. I have heat which everyone says you shouldn't have heat with a bad Tstat. *shrugs* but it fits the best.

Hey found this as well worth a shot:

"I've had the same problem...several times. It is most likely a failed temp sensor. One way to test this is to use the diagnostic mode in the Climatronic computer. You will want to check the digital engine temp reading to see whether or not it is normal or bogus.

To access the computer, start the car (preferably when you are having he fan issue) and press the FAN DOWN buttton, the TEMP COLDER button (blue), and the ECON button at the same time. You should see "00" on the right side of the display. Use the TEMP WARMER button (red) to scroll up to number 45- engine temp. The readout to the left of the 45 is the temperature of the coolant when it exits the engine block, and it is in Celsius. The temp should read between 86*-92*C. A faulty sensor will usually read its max value of 127*C. If you want to convert the temp to *F take the temp, i.e.- 89, multiply 89 by 1.8 and then add 32, which = 192.2*F, normal.

I did a write-up a little while ago on the sensor removal. Hope it helps!

Mike"

Edited by yesimalex - 29-Oct-2009 at 10:35
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
tommygunns View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tommygunns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2009 at 17:42
Hey, thats worth the shot. I didn't know you could do that with the Passats, but I have done in my A4
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2009 at 19:18
let me know how it goes mine was showing bad readings
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
rock View Drop Down

Quote rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2009 at 20:09
Well, I just did the diagnostic and got 127C. So it would seem I have a bad sensor vs a bad thermostat (or both?).

The temp gauge is doing wacky things as well. If I turn the car off with temp gauge at normal (mid point - 190f) and then immediately start up again the gauge is a 0 and takes several minutes before if comes back to normal (and quickly, like it was suddenly turned on). And of course, all the while the fans are on full blast. Is this another indicator of a bad sensor? Or t-sat? Something else?

Any way of narrowing down which sensor it is? - both have previously been replaced.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tommygunns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2009 at 15:06
Well, ok. I was doing some investigating on PassatWorld, and found that the 1.8T Passats get the same code P2181, and they don't have an electrically controlled thermostat. Taking it back to the shop tomorrow for them to diagnose again. Maybe that first sensor that they replaced is faulty?
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tommygunns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2009 at 15:10
Gonna try this when the wife gets home:

18613/P2181/008577 - Performance Malfunction in Cooling System
Possible Solutions

* Check Engine Coolant Temperature Sender (G62)
* Check Coolant Thermostat
* Check Engine Cooling System
o Put the key on, fan speed on 1, and push the a/c switch. Are both fans kicking on? If not, you found the problem.
o Put the key on and fan speed on 1. Does heat come out readily from the vents?
+ No. Probably the water pump is gone.
+ Yes. Probably the thermostat is gone.

Found it on PassatWorld, has anyone tried this yet?
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tommygunns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2009 at 15:27
I just found this too, I think its GOLD!!

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/Climatronic_Self_Diagnostics.pdf

Edited by SirRangeALot - 03-Nov-2009 at 22:01
rock View Drop Down

Quote rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2009 at 17:59
Further to the note above re: diagnosing a bad sensor through the climatic control, does anyone whether a 127 degree readout is a definitive confirmation of a bad sensor? If so, anyway of knowing which one? If not, could it be a bad t-sat?

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234