The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

balancing shaft, belt and tensioning roller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote scottbob0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: balancing shaft, belt and tensioning roller
    Posted: 28-Mar-2009 at 06:03
OK so this is the deal.. unless you have a good set of tools, the Bentley manual, and are really good at not breaking plastic bits...   I would not recommend this task. However if you want to have at it, you are taking that risk. VW would love to sell you more parts. The thing's you need to know are, take a lot of care with the wire harness, mark the connectors so you don't forget the location of them,and don't bother unplugging the fans. Have fun with the two major coolant lines...such pain to get off especially the lower hose, work the hell out of um. There are two oil lines off the radiator and the lower 10mm bolt has a odd angle of attack. Past the grunt work the really hard part is feeling when the shafts lineup. They fluctuate 180 degrees off from one another. They make a 360 degree rotation... you will feel the gear get faintly lighter as is comes up from a clock wise rotation between 9 and 12 o'clock, 12 being the dot on the gear lining up with the dot on the block. the shafts will be apart or together, they need to be in not out. If you are unlucky you may have to do it again...not so bad....but I got it on the first try. Oh ya go me!.. Anyway don't bother putting the front end back, just bolt the Harmonic balancer back on hand tight and run it up to 3k and if it is smooth you will know that you got it right, have some one look at the tensioner roller while its running just to be sure.     parts you will need .. the gas shock bolts for holding the front on.. they will break if you torque them again.. so get 7 of them. vibration dampener bolt the timing belt, tensioning roller and two hose clamps for the power steering oil cooler. All should run you about $250. sorry no pics .. go buy the book ... you are going to need it.

Edited by scottbob0 - 06-May-2010 at 22:36
W8 6speed 03 Maus
ben View Drop Down

Quote ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2009 at 04:53
Good work, replacing balancing shaft's belt & tensioner along with the serpentine belt (+ adjuster & water pump) is an important maintenance for every W8. Nice that you can do it yourself!

Btw, here's a couple of pics from my archives:

* W8 Variant -02 / 341000 kms
02passatw8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 00:02
Did you have to Pull the front bumper as well?
scottbob0 View Drop Down

Quote scottbob0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2009 at 05:49
you have to take off the whole front end of the car.
W8 6speed 03 Maus
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2009 at 12:31
yea i see that im doing it right now
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2009 at 20:33
Ok so i have everything off and down to the cooling fans Im looking at the car from front to back and have the right side fan unbolted now the electric wires on the fan is holding me. Im checking the manuals but wondering if both fans must come out or can i just somehow unplug the right fan. Any help would be appreciated.
scottbob0 View Drop Down

Quote scottbob0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2009 at 11:04
You don't have to take the fans out or unplug them, but the wire harness will be mostly removed. look at the plastic loops that hold the wires in, also unbolt the rod in the middle it has a wire that runs down and under towards the right side. this wire runs in to the loops with the other wires. middle to lower front drivers side.also it may help to leave like a two bolts in the front, for part of it so you don't break any thing or get hung up under the car.
W8 6speed 03 Maus
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2009 at 11:05
For everyone considering this job its not the easiest, If anyone needs more pictures feel free to let me know I can post some or help you out. Main concerns are make sure you get the tool specified by the dealer to remove the crankshaft pulley. When doing this job you lose about 1 gallon of coolant and about a liter of tranny fluid, and unless you have a IV they call it the dealer will have to fill the tranny fluid, which was a nice 100 bill.
Dumanehu View Drop Down

Quote Dumanehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2009 at 09:06
What is a standard timeline for servicing the Balancing Shaft, Belt and tensioning roller?
2002 Jetta Tdi
2003 W8 Variant
2008 Gli
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2009 at 12:06
There is no service record for it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>