The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

balancing shaft, belt and tensioning roller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
isukennedy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote isukennedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: balancing shaft, belt and tensioning roller
    Posted: 17-Apr-2013 at 02:50
The money isn't the biggest concern next to the PITA level of pulling the whole front end off. This is very much one of those whileyerinthere moments. I'd like to get as much done in there as possible, even if it means taking a day or two off work.
jaklakmak View Drop Down

Quote jaklakmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2013 at 20:41
I would replace the water pump as well as a new serpentine belt and serpentine belt tensioner. A little more money but won't have to worry about it for a while
W8-JHOLE
isukennedy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote isukennedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2013 at 15:02
I'm probably going to do this once it warms up a few more degrees here in Milwaukee. Any thoughts on other stuff do do while you have the front of the car off?

Replace a radiator? replace the headlights/ballasts? Other stuff?
Hi_Im_Will View Drop Down

Quote Hi_Im_Will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2013 at 16:56
Since this is the thread that comes up in the google search:

You can build the tool pretty easily if you have access to a welder. What you need is:

- 1 7/8" socket (not metric, but close enough, and any Sears will have it for ~$25)
- Steel stock or rebar (I used 3/16"x2" bar, 3' for $10 at Lowes)

1. Cut the drive end off the socket, so all you have left is the hex itself. I used a hacksaw with a 24 TPI blade, and it took a while. Lubricating the cut with some gear oil helps tremendously.
2. Notch one end of the piece of steel to match the outside of the socket. (bench grinder)
3. Weld the bar flush with the cut off end of the socket to make a deep offset wrench. I welded both sides to be safe.

There you go! For 2 hours of work and $30, you can be the proud owner of the special Volkswagen tool / 1 7/8" deep offset box end wrench!
MRAJB View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote MRAJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2011 at 14:47
35 days later, I finally got my car back. It was the pully that was outa whack. I also go a new belt as well. Car runs great now.
Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008
___/ __/ _/ View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote ___/ __/ _/ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2011 at 07:37
I believe it is 07D 903 315 E....I think.
"I agree that the W8 is a great car--when it works... "
-dstathos-

^Pure Genius! Why didn't I write that?!?

Majorn View Drop Down

Quote Majorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2011 at 17:55
My mechanic is in the middle of the water pump change, he told me to order belt and tensioner, already ordered the belt, do anyone have the part number for the serpentine belt tensioner?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objects in mirror will disappear faster then you expect.
Majorn View Drop Down

Quote Majorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2011 at 17:20
My car started to sound very strange so I took it to my indi mech, and came to the conclution that it probably was the water pump, he is taking it apart right now, hopefully it will be cheep.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objects in mirror will disappear faster then you expect.
___/ __/ _/ View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote ___/ __/ _/ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2011 at 23:00
Anyone have a spare T1000069 tool lying around?

: )
"I agree that the W8 is a great car--when it works... "
-dstathos-

^Pure Genius! Why didn't I write that?!?

fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2011 at 20:20
How many miles on the car? If the harmonic balancer belt & tensioner have not been replaced, 80k miles is the recommended interval from experiences posted here. If you're near or over that, and its never been done, I would do it as scheduled maintenance, and then hope that it was indeed the noise.

Get a quote from the dealer... the difference between service position and removing the front end is not likely cheap.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>