The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

balancing shaft, belt and tensioning roller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: balancing shaft, belt and tensioning roller
    Posted: 03-Mar-2011 at 22:39
My belt snapped and ran it for about 1000 miles just slapped around in there. I agree 80k is good.
JaysHeadache View Drop Down

Quote JaysHeadache Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2011 at 17:28
After reading some of the posts on this topic I decided to replace mine too. At 105K miles mine looked like it was about ready to snap. No fraying but very thin. Replaced Tensioner as well. Used guide rods purchased from ebay to put front into service position and there was plenty of room. Thanks to all of the posters on this topic. It was a huge help.
J
03 W8 6MT UrbanGrey 115000 miles
03 HD RoadKing
05 Merc Montego
08 Acura TL S-type
11 Tahoe
11 HD ultra limited
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 21:04
Just adding a reference to another thread on the same topic:
http://www.w8forum.dk/forum_posts.asp?TID=1340&PN=5&title=engine-vibration
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
jimhappy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jimhappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2011 at 04:13
Mine just threw this belt at 89K. This was an awesome resource. I was able to diagnose this problem easily thanks to our forum. I'm waiting for parts, but I did get the old belt out. Maybe I could have waited though, it still had a few teeth left on it!

W84Motion View Drop Down

Quote W84Motion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2011 at 10:36
What where the diagnoisis problems that consitituted the changing of that belt?
jimhappy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jimhappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2011 at 13:50
I pulled out (briskly) into traffic and the sound of the exhaust changed, to a deeper tone, almost like a leak near the manifold.

Then I noticed a vibration that started about 3000rpm. The vibration felt like what you'd get from an older engine that no longer wanted to rev because the bearings were shot.

I threw no codes (there was a "pending code" for multiple missfires, but it might have been old and when I cleared it, it didn't return.

The next morning it was making a horrible tapping/knocking noise. That's when I found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piI9WNkFlzg&feature=mh_lolz&list=HL1319543069. It was posted on this forum. That's exactly what it sounded like.

It really seemed like something tragic had happened, but thanks to our group it was clearly just this belt, which is no fun to get to, but it's not the end of the world either. I'm just glad I didn't tear the rest of the engine apart in vain!

This should definitely be done as a maint item when the ribbed belt is serviced.
reffry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote reffry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2011 at 17:05
Hi Kansas City W8 have you used any service departments in the area ? I am south of you in Ottawa and always looking for any information regarding trusted mechanics and shops that others have used. Thanks'Jeff.
jimhappy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jimhappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 03:27
Update: Got it all back together, and it's never run so smoothly. It must have skipped a few teeth a while back.

If your belt does break, you'll most likely need the plastic cover too. Mine was cracked and worn from the belt thrashing around inside.

Also the idler pulley should also be replaced with the belt, especially if the belt had broken. My idler pulley had pieces of belt jammed behind it. Also a tab on the pulley's mounting bracket was bent in a way that would affect the spring tension.
MRAJB View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote MRAJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2011 at 02:11
I think I have this problem as well now. I noticed a slight ticking noise this past couple days. Now on my way home, when I drive about 4k RPM's I get a vibration I can feel through the gas pedal. And the exhaust/engine sound a bit different. Is it OK to drive the car like this?

Can I visually check the belt without taking the car apart?
Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008
jimhappy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jimhappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2011 at 04:47
That sounds like you have the same problem.

Some members have posted that they drove for several thousand miles without damage, but I can't really advise.

No. You can not inspect the belt. In fact, by the time you get to where you can see it, you might as well replace it. At that point, you are almost there.

Before you try to tackle the job, make sure you have use of a Bentley manual and the tool for holding the crankshaft.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>