The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

balancing shaft, belt and tensioning roller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MRAJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: balancing shaft, belt and tensioning roller
    Posted: 22-Dec-2011 at 14:47
35 days later, I finally got my car back. It was the pully that was outa whack. I also go a new belt as well. Car runs great now.
Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008
Hi_Im_Will View Drop Down

Quote Hi_Im_Will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2013 at 16:56
Since this is the thread that comes up in the google search:

You can build the tool pretty easily if you have access to a welder. What you need is:

- 1 7/8" socket (not metric, but close enough, and any Sears will have it for ~$25)
- Steel stock or rebar (I used 3/16"x2" bar, 3' for $10 at Lowes)

1. Cut the drive end off the socket, so all you have left is the hex itself. I used a hacksaw with a 24 TPI blade, and it took a while. Lubricating the cut with some gear oil helps tremendously.
2. Notch one end of the piece of steel to match the outside of the socket. (bench grinder)
3. Weld the bar flush with the cut off end of the socket to make a deep offset wrench. I welded both sides to be safe.

There you go! For 2 hours of work and $30, you can be the proud owner of the special Volkswagen tool / 1 7/8" deep offset box end wrench!
isukennedy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote isukennedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2013 at 15:02
I'm probably going to do this once it warms up a few more degrees here in Milwaukee. Any thoughts on other stuff do do while you have the front of the car off?

Replace a radiator? replace the headlights/ballasts? Other stuff?
jaklakmak View Drop Down

Quote jaklakmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2013 at 20:41
I would replace the water pump as well as a new serpentine belt and serpentine belt tensioner. A little more money but won't have to worry about it for a while
W8-JHOLE
isukennedy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote isukennedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2013 at 02:50
The money isn't the biggest concern next to the PITA level of pulling the whole front end off. This is very much one of those whileyerinthere moments. I'd like to get as much done in there as possible, even if it means taking a day or two off work.
jaklakmak View Drop Down

Quote jaklakmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2014 at 04:26
Part #N 101 389 02 that you have listed as the vibration damper bolt is incorrect. That corresponds to a transmission/transaxle bolt. Ive done several hours research on this but can not find a oem part number. When I did mine I just ended up purchasing one from 1stvwparts.com. You have to purchase a new bolt! Do not reuse the old damper bolt as this is a stretch bolt and will not re seat correctly if reused. It will most likely bottom out before becoming tight if reused. Last thing you want is your damper becoming loose and blowing the h%&$ out of everything going down the road.
Good luck
W8-JHOLE
B5in View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote B5in Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2015 at 22:07
The other night I did about 150mph on hwy felt a hesitation so I let off grannied home and noticed a knock in the motor even at idle and also exhaust sounded different, then the next morning drove it around the block and it seemed fine and no knock so my son drove it to school the last few days and said everything seemed normal but he drove like mom just incase, could it be the balance shaft belt or did I spin a bearing?

Dang it he just texted me that it sounds bad again
mpreadw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mpreadw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2015 at 15:36
When my balance shaft belt went the whole car would begin to shudder when the motor revved above 3,000 RPM's. At idle with the hood up I could also here a "tick tick tick" coming from where the balance shaft belt is located. Other than that motor really didn't sound bad. Hopefully that helps you out a bit. Best of luck.

Nothing sounds like a W8...
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2015 at 22:35
This was what happened when mine was on it's way out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWyFA0OLK1M
Apparently it went away when they were loading it on the lowloader to ship to the garage (ie it snapped)
B5in View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote B5in Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2015 at 23:57
Damn that's what mine sounds like, did it all go away when the belt was replaced?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>