The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

balancing shaft, belt and tensioning roller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: balancing shaft, belt and tensioning roller
    Posted: 12-Feb-2015 at 21:40
Yeah, i had them replace the serpentine belt and a few of the noisier rollers and stuff while they were in there too, but when they'd finished it was running almost silent in comparison.
eddycooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eddycooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2016 at 04:06
I did this job today. The belt was shredded, and it's probably been like that ever since I bought the car at 160 kms (now at 230). I didn't know any better. Well the car sure is a lot smoother than it used to be.

So if anyone is wondering how long you can run without the balance shafts working properly, the answer is, well, a long time.

Some notes:
- I did this with the car in service position. I put a 2x4 between the snub mount and the core support. I did not need to disconnect any power steering hoses or anything else from the core support.
- I removed the center post that goes between the two radiator fans. Then I moved the big aluminum fan controller to one side. This was all to provide clearance to the crankshaft bolt. I used a 3/4" drive breaker bar but had to use an adapter to fit the 1/2" drive 24 mm socket, meaning that the tool was fairly long. With a lower profile tool I probably could have avoided taking out those pieces.
- I replaced the balance shaft belt and its tensioner. I wish I had bought the plastic cover too, because it is cracked in several places.
- I also replaced the water pump, the accessory belt, and both accessory belt idlers. The roller on the accessory belt tensioner is coming due too, but it is expensive so I didn't do without checking the old one first.
- I used the big crankshaft holding tool that's being shared around the forum. It's great. For the centre bolt I used a 40" breaker bar. With the two tools together it was a 1-person job to get the right torque (100 Nm + 90deg).
JayTheSnork View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2016 at 18:56
thanks for the update on this one, Ed. nice to know the front end doesn't have to come completely off. was the car on a lift, or jackstands, or ramps?

I'll be wanting the tool for sometime this winter...
eddycooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eddycooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2016 at 17:05
I left the car on the ground and used the jack to hold the bumper up while it was in service position. I've added some pictures here.

I'm going to use the tool again to replace the plastic cover, but after that it's up for grabs. That'll be in a couple weeks or so.

JayTheSnork View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2016 at 15:06
whoa... that one is totally shredded!

what guidance did you use to do this replacement? the bentley seems pretty sketchy on this one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567