Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedName This Light

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote yoshie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Name This Light
    Posted: 02-Apr-2009 at 22:28
I recently bumped into a person from behind at a stop light. Therefore, when I got home I decided to check to make sure everything was in proper working condition. I noticed the circled light below was out. It is the low level light that comes on when you turn on your lights at night. The high beam light in the middle still works just fine, but I am unsure of what the specific light is that I need to replace. Any help would be appreciated since I don't really want to take it to VW and have them try to tell me I need a new $500 assembly. Thank you.

2003 W8 Sedan
Alpine HU, Adire Sub, Cadence Amp
___/ __/ _/ View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote ___/ __/ _/ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2009 at 22:47
Oh jeez. You're gonna need the engine pulled! (not really!)

Those are 194 style bulbs. 12volt.

Mike
"I agree that the W8 is a great car--when it works... "
-dstathos-

^Pure Genius! Why didn't I write that?!?

SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2009 at 01:12
^ Also referred to as the "city lights." I replaced mine with LED's.
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2009 at 10:56
Hoen xenonmatch W5W - they also make a LED version
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
straightw8 View Drop Down

Quote straightw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2009 at 11:53
ditto. LEDs are they way to go. I put some W194's in. Got them at superbrightleds.com for like $10 for a pair. The "white" color matches the HID's very well. and they look pretty sweet with a euroswitch
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2009 at 15:37
FYI, those are called "city lights."
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2009 at 19:42
Originally posted by SirRangeALot

^ Also referred to as the "city lights."

Originally posted by VWAffe

FYI, those are called "city lights."

How's that saying go..."a day late and a dollar short"?
lyrinx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote lyrinx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2009 at 20:57
Originally posted by straightw8

ditto. LEDs are they way to go. I put some W194's in. Got them at superbrightleds.com for like $10 for a pair. The "white" color matches the HID's very well. and they look pretty sweet with a euroswitch

I'm assuming that you used WLED-xx5 with 5 leds? What color have you used ? I tried Cool White and they're a little too blue for me.

I also bought Festoon type 4410 for middle Map Light(reffered to write up for B5). But looks like B5.5 does not use that type of bulb anywhere, so I end up puting it as a License Plate Light (it's longer that the corect one - 3610, but it works).

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2009 at 21:24
Originally posted by lyrinx

I'm assuming that you used WLED-xx5 with 5 leds? What color have you used ? I tried Cool White and they're a little too blue for me.

Try getting just straight up "blue"!
straightw8 View Drop Down

Quote straightw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2009 at 15:37
Originally posted by lyrinx

Originally posted by straightw8

I also bought Festoon type 4410 for middle Map Light(reffered to write up for B5). But looks like B5.5 does not use that type of bulb anywhere, so I end up puting it as a License Plate Light (it's longer that the corect one - 3610, but it works).

Well, at the time, superbrightleds.com only had the "white" color. I just put some LEDs in my new car, and used the "natural white" color, and that looks pretty good.

I orginally had the "blue/white" lamp in there, and it looked purple. If you're going to match the HIDs, then natural white should do.

My city's only had 2 LEDs in the wedge, i dont even know if they sell them anymore, but they were PLENTY bright. I would imagine the 5-LED wedge's would fit, but don't quote me on that. Good thing is, they're inexpensive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>