The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

need a beater

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need a beater
    Posted: 21-Apr-2009 at 21:20
any suggestions for a cheap reliable beater??? need a car for work. Any suggestions are welcome.
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
t0kie View Drop Down

Quote t0kie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2009 at 21:36
Mine is a 2003 1.8t GTI MKIV. Good gas mileage & fun to drive too.
02passatw8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2009 at 22:16
Damn you can get saturn ions cheap. No race car but i had one loved it, cheap to fix, good on gas and have bad resale meaning good if ur looking at one to run into the ground.
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2009 at 00:08
If you would want stay in the VW world....

A MKIII, (1993-99.5) Jetta, or Golf 2.0 4 cyl., manual (if manual is OK).

There's plenty around in decent shape, that can be had for between the $2k-$3k mark (even less if you take your time & look around a bit).

The 2.0 engines as long as they were maintained decent, can go 200k & more easily. The engine bay is real open & roomy if work is ever needed to be done. All parts new or used, are plentiful & relatively inexpensive, and repairs are pretty straight forward. Auto transmission ones were known to be crappy, but the manuals were good & lasted, and again are relatively cheap to work on if needed.

In my opinion, they are old enough, that they still have what I would say, a low level electrics/electronics (less to worry about, if your one to fuss around with the car yourself), but new enough that they still look & feel modern, and not dated....and they're fun to drive.

Edited by JimmyPringles - 22-Apr-2009 at 00:09
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2009 at 07:48
What kind of work? Do you need to haul around any kind of gear or materials, carry passengers, travel long distances or stay in the city...?

My only advice, if you want a beater, is to buy a beater... don't get something remotely sporting, or that you'll want to keep clean, maybe make some changes to, or otherwise be proud of.

Lowest Total Cost of Ownership is what you're after - there's no sense in diverting funds and attention from the W8. None.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2009 at 10:15
Lots of interstate driving and apparently on some sh*tty back roads too.. wouldn't be hauling much anything but myself. AWD would be a perk but probably not necessary. I've heard Volvo engines never die, but yeah VW would make me happy.

Basically I want a car that I can drive and maintain for less than 31 cents per mile. Oil changes and gas at their current price the Passat runs about 14 cents per mile. Has anyone had any experience with the TDI engines in jettas? Thats what I've been eyeing but don't know much about them.
Turbo DIY
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2009 at 08:39
Can't go wrong with a diesel!!! My daily is an '04 Jetta, and I can honestly say that I would never be without a diesel.

However, what is your budget? You will definitely pay a (hefty) premium for a TDI over other Jetta's of otherwise similar spec (age, mileage, options).

The TDI from '99 to '03 is the same (engine code ALH), and the '04 and '05 got the new "PD" unit-injection engine (BEW). On purchase price alone, I'd recommend the earlier cars, but also for lower operating costs. The older engines are generally (but not necessarily) better on fuel, are less finicky about oil changes and proper spec oil, and are typically cheaper to repair.

Mostly hwy driving, you'll get 600 miles per tank easily, and 700+ is well within reach. Go for a 5-speed if at all feasible. While there is copious torque, it's still only ~100hp, and the slushbox doesn't help anything, plus the hit you'll take on fuel efficiency.

Make sure oil changes have been done, timing belt @ 100k miles (IIRC), have the battery/charging system checked, an intake manifold cleaning on higher mileage cars (over 100k miles) would be a real plus.

If you need carrying capacity, I'd probably suggest the Golf over the Jetta. Rear seat passenger space (or lack thereof) is the same in both, but the hatch makes it a bit more practical if you're loading/unloading stuff regularly.

Browse here for all the info you might need...
http://www.tdiclub.com

Edited by fitzski - 23-Apr-2009 at 08:39
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2009 at 09:34
Thanks for the info and the link. Only TDI in my area right now is an 05 and they were asking 12k for it. I asked if it was the 4 cylinder diseal (a duh question) and the salesman said he thought it was a 6... then proceeded to lift the hood and look around the engine bay... the manifold was in plain sight I counted the 4 intakes at least 6 times before he proclaimed that it was a 4 cylinder. Any rate I don't think I'll be buying off of that guy. Everybody seems to be recommending a manual guess it's time to learn.

Just to clear the air.. the Passat is my only car at the moment and the beater would be for me keep the wife and kids in the safety mobile.
Turbo DIY
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2009 at 09:45
Originally posted by yesimalex

Just to clear the air.. the Passat is my only car at the moment and the beater would be for me keep the wife and kids in the safety mobile.

That's my setup as well, though I definitely don't consider my Jetta a beater!

Was the salesman at an independent or at a VW dealership (since the latter actually wouldn't surprise me...)?

The potential advantage of a VW dealer is that you can get a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) used car... However, you definitely pay a large premium for it, and IMO, it's not necessary with the TDI.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2009 at 10:08
I want a mk3 GTI VR6 in the worst way. But I'm afraid if I bought another VW I'd go bankrupt!
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
 Post Reply Post Reply