Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Exterior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedTaking apart the headlights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking apart the headlights
    Posted: 10-Jun-2009 at 02:09
the only other suggestion I can add, is buy a couple of used MKIII headlights (relatively cheap), and practice, & experiment on them.

I find for myself (as well as probably for most people), that if I'm working on a pair of some thing, or 3 or 4 for that matter, the first one will always come out horrible, and by the 2nd into the third one, everything becomes butter.
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2009 at 02:40
I feel for you, but in fairness at least you put your balls on the line and tried it. There must be a way of doing it, but how many lights would need to be broken to find out
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2009 at 07:13
What about trying a heat gun directly on the seem? Might loosen the seal and, if careful, not melt the plastic housing.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2009 at 09:14
Originally posted by rustybronco

What about trying a heat gun directly on the seem? Might loosen the seal and, if careful, not melt the plastic housing.

In all honesty that would probably take DAYS to do, lol. The guy that helped me has baked a lot of headlights, and even he was frustrated.

Oh well, this opens up the door for me to install what I REALLY want.
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2009 at 10:03
well now you've got my attention... please post the ebay listings asap
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
JTninja View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JTninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2009 at 13:28
Originally posted by SirRangeALot

The baking of the headlights didn't go well. The worse assembly looks like it has lamin-x on it now. The glue would NOT budge, and the heat started to melt a corner of the assembly, and the back part of the assembly started to get soft. The Jetta joey-modders make it look so easy.

If any of you have thought about trying this out, don't do it. You'll just get frustrated. These things were not meant to be taken apart, that's for sure.

Exact same thing happened to me. Ive been told I should try putting them in the oven at 200 degrees to soften the glue, but havent got around to that yet...
JT Tami

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2009 at 19:37
Originally posted by JTninja

Exact same thing happened to me. Ive been told I should try putting them in the oven at 200 degrees to soften the glue, but havent got around to that yet...

200 isn't going to work. That's how I melted a corner of a headlight. The glue will not give way no matter how long you leave it in there. Trust me, I left it in TOO long and it still wasn't budging. The back part of the headlight was getting soft but the glue was like cement. No dice, sorry...
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2009 at 21:38
hmm, what about a chemical that will dissolve the glue but not the plastic? ...well, at least dissolve the glue faster than the plastic. Acetone perhaps? I am not a chemistry expert by any means... I'd try acetone, test it on a not-so-noticeable part of the head light to see if it dissolves the plastic; if it does not try it on the glue.

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2009 at 22:16
Originally posted by rustybronco

hmm, what about a chemical that will dissolve the glue but not the plastic? ...well, at least dissolve the glue faster than the plastic. Acetone perhaps? I am not a chemistry expert by any means... I'd try acetone, test it on a not-so-noticeable part of the head light to see if it dissolves the plastic; if it does not try it on the glue.

Re-read what you posted and ask yourself -- is it worth trying to take apart $900+ headlights only to burn off your fingers or put holes in the plastic (or vice versa)??
jon-a-ton View Drop Down

Quote jon-a-ton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2009 at 01:41
well mine only got f**ked on the out side but it took me a half hour to buff each one of them cuz they looked foggy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>