The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedAccident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accident
    Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 15:53
Hello there,

and welcome! Hope that you get your W8 repaired rather than totaled.

The W8s with automatic transmission have an oil cooling line in the front of the engine, so the leaked oil can be from tranny indeed.

++ben

Edited by ben - 09-Jun-2009 at 15:54
* W8 Variant -02 / 341000 kms
Corwin View Drop Down

Quote Corwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 16:31
I'm sorry, but how in the hell did you hit a tree on a 50mph road when you were going only 45mph?
nightogre View Drop Down

Quote nightogre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 20:11
My insurance company quote me 5000 or so to fix it, but I feel like I am being jerked around. For one thing, they told me the spoiler needs to be replaced?

Dont quite remember there being one of those there. And they didn't look at a single thing within the engine and/or the frame.
So I am taking it to another adjuster and he was wondering what could be long term affects
As to Corwin's question, I hit a tree in the Black Hills of South Dakota. The road is very curvy to begin with, make it 1:00 in the morning, add a deer and a cliff to the equation. That was I was going 5 under. I was coming up to a hard right curve, with dropoffs to the front and right, ditch on the left. I would have hit the deer and possibly not stopped in time to avoid going over the edge of the ravine, both in front of me and on the side.
I went to the left, and took the ditch, hence, tree smashing.
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 20:47
"Spoiler" refers to the lower front bumper valance, and yes, it needs to be replaced!

$5k sounds low to me...

Edited by fitzski - 09-Jun-2009 at 20:48
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2009 at 02:50
Looking at the car I honestly dont think there is any engine/transmission damage. Have you checked all of the levels, oil, power steering, coolant. If all of them are fine then its easy to run the engine and put it in drive with the handbrake on and see if there is any movement in the engine.
gforce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gforce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2009 at 01:52
Sorry to see your car hit in the front like mine earlier this year. Mine was more of a side impact on the nose vs your head-on impact. Since the bumper, radiator support and probably both headlight assemblies are plastic they should be replaced with new parts. Not much is available aftermarket so almost all of the parts will end up being OEM.

Since there is so much stuff tucked away in every nook and cranny of the nose of our cars, the first estimate/adjuster visit won't even scratch the surface of what it will need. My repair shop had the insurance adjuster come back 4 times. They just have to keep peeling off the broken stuff one step at a time till you get to good parts! Parts and labor for mine came to $6K.

Expect about 2-3 week repair time. But don't get hung up looking for a shop with W8 experience, I couldn't find any one who did. I would suggest visiting your local Porsche Audi service department and ask where they send their body work. It turned out well for me.
2010 CC VR6 4Motion Black/Black
2003 W8 Tip Sedan Black/Black - Traded In
nightogre View Drop Down

Quote nightogre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2009 at 04:23
Thank you everyone for your help. They started to do a break down of the car today, and hopefully they can figure out everything that needs to be fixed. I just hope I can have my car back one of these months
nightogre View Drop Down

Quote nightogre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 13:04
Well an update on my W8. My original adjuster from the insurance company quoted me around 5000 to fix my car. They auto body shop I had it taken to began the tear down, and already, without tearing into the engine is at 9600 in damages. gforce was correct. When they begin peeling back the layers, you find more and more damage, and it all racks up. So, I am thinking that this car is going to be a total loss :-(( I am going to miss my w8.
Thank you all SO much for your help!
Andrew
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2009 at 05:28
That seems a hell of an amount. I counted the cost of parts at a worst guess before seeing the pics and was working on new lights, side members and loads of body parts which you don't really need. Seems like they are replacing alot of stuff for the sake of it IMO
irab View Drop Down

Quote irab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2009 at 11:40
Sorry about your W8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12