Forum Home Forum Home > Members > USA - East
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

A Quick Hello

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mikew8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Quick Hello
    Posted: 12-Jul-2009 at 06:20
Just wanted to send a quick hello to all W8Forum members. Right now my W8 is having a lot of problems. The CEL went on and is blinking. TBH I don't want to drive it because it has a really rough idle. I am going to pick up an OBD II hand scanner and see what codes it spits back. In the meantime, I just bought a can of seafoam. I am going to seafoam and change the oil myself (it's about due for an oil change).

This website seems great bc if I do have the dreaded Cam adjuster problem, I think I will try the voltage fix (although I am getting ahead of myself).

Anyway hello to all!
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2009 at 12:09
Welcome!

First of all, try to find someone with a VAG-COM; it's going to be more precise and detailed as far as the code and explaining what needs to be done. An OBDII is pretty generic and isn't going to give you a whole lot to go off on.

Also, try not to get yourself worked up over this -- think simple. You might be getting yourself worked up over something small...I speak from experience!

Good luck!
Mikew8 View Drop Down

Quote Mikew8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2009 at 12:47
You are probably right. Personally I think it might be a bad plug/coil (at least I hope) that is causing the rough idle. I was considering getting a vag-com but I don't have a portable laptop to use. Does anyone know if a small net-book would be able to handle the software? Perhaps a cheap netbook with vag-com software would make a great portable scanner.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2009 at 02:25
Now that you mention it I blew a coil pack a couple of years ago and I had the same symptoms you're experiencing. IIRC, there was a recall for coilpacks...
 Post Reply Post Reply