The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedWhat to look for.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Majorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to look for.
    Posted: 15-Jul-2009 at 13:20
Hey guys.

Even if it´s not what I planed, I´m going to travel 1000km/1600mi on saturday to eventually buy a -02 Sedan AT, it´s just o cheep.... the thing is, it´s so cheep, I get worried, something might be broken.

The car has traveled 140000km/225Kmi. Is the something you think I should look for?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objects in mirror will disappear faster then you expect.
pogi_passat View Drop Down

Quote pogi_passat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2009 at 16:42
Just your basics...belts, tranny fluid, plugs, bushings on the suspension, shocks, make sure it still shifts smooth.... other than that, I haven't heard of any major things related to W8's (i'm still pretty new to them :D ) I would also see if they would allow you to take it to a shop and do a quick compression check. Those engines are beyond expensive to repair/replace
2003 VW Passat W8
Majorn View Drop Down

Quote Majorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2009 at 17:04
Okej, May I ask how I check the tranny fluid?

My biggst consern is that he has´nt got any service records, so I don´t know when the next services is up. I can think of funnier stuff then have to pay up for a service after a week.

Still, it´s a good deal, it´s not worth for me to translate you what it costs, because the cars are much cheeper on your side of the lake, but I´v got the price down about 33%.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goofy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Goofy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2009 at 17:28
Originally posted by pogi_passat

I haven't heard of any major things related to W8's (i'm still pretty new to them :D )

Maybe read this thread.

To the OP... You might be able to give the VIN to a VW dealer and find some service history? If the cam adjusters fail/need replacing then it's probably gonna cost more than the car is worth, the torque converter on the automatic is another fairly costly repair. I'd do a bit of research before buying and a warranty is a must IMHO. Do some digging and hopefully you'll find a great car.

Good luck.
Majorn View Drop Down

Quote Majorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2009 at 17:39
Have read that thread, it´s a bit scary, but I think I´ll risk it.

Gonna call my dealer tomorrow, and I get a warranty with the car, it´s just for 6 months, but it´s the best I can get, extra warranty is´nt that common here.
Even if the car have been serviced not to long ago, I think I´ll change the oil ASAP. It seems to be a wise thing to do, better safe.
 Post Reply Post Reply