Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedQuestion for any paint experts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for any paint experts
    Posted: 06-Aug-2009 at 12:57
I've got a small area on the driver side beside the headlight where the paint is peeling whats the best way to fix this.. it's only about an 8th of an inch square in size. Its the quarter panel directly beside the headlight on the leading edge. Might have caught a rock or something.

Thanks,
Alex
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
Colormatch View Drop Down

Quote Colormatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2009 at 17:10
It sounds like you have a chip from an impact of a rock or something like you say. But it doesnt mean that the paint is peeling. If it is peeling it will keep coming off the panel and grow larger and larger. If its just a normal chip, get some touch up paint of your cars color and touch it up. The only other alternative is to pay a good body shop to repair it correctly. I have been painting automobiles since 1978 and would be happy to help you with some info.
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2009 at 12:04
I only mention peeling because at the edge of the spot the paint is peeled off the panel so there is a flake still there.. It does appear to be a peel but it has not progressed any further. I'm not sure what to do about edge that is lifted off the panel. Should I try and just paint over it?
Turbo DIY

Quote Colormatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2009 at 16:03
The part that is peeling off is probably where a little more paint came off the surface around the impact point. You cant really paint over it as it will look funny and cause the loose part to raise up. What color is it? Solid or metallic?
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2009 at 22:22
reflex silver... metalic
Turbo DIY

Quote Colormatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2009 at 18:09
If you cant have it painted by a shop, you can get some of your color from a paint supplier (preferably Spies/Hecker). Remove the part of the chip that is loose, clean it with rubbing alchohol, carefully touch up the chip, let it dry, then put a coat of clear touch up over it. You can keep putting on layers of clear touch up until it fills the chip to the level of the surface of the paint. Sand it lightly with 1500 grit about a week later and polish it with light compound and a rag until it shines and the 1500 scratches are gone. This works great for solid colors, but not so good with metalics because the silver touch up usually dries darker than when it is sprayed. Hope this helps.
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2009 at 16:55
Awesome advice thanks, I have some touch up paint already I'll get some clear coat.

Turbo DIY
 Post Reply Post Reply