The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Max Speed limit...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pistik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Max Speed limit...
    Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 21:03
I was racing totay with BMW330ci - M package and sure enough he was able to keep up with me. We were accelerating full throttle from like 60km/h and he was always little behind but then at like 210-215km/h my limitter kicked in and he passed me...

Is there an easy way to remove that speed limiter...
I have full VAG-COM...
2003 Passat W8 Sedan
Pacific Blue, Black, Tip.
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 23:09
AFAIK the easiest was is to just get a GIAC chip. Not only will you get rid of the top speed limiter but the first gear rev limiter as well.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 00:06
The GIAC "performance" program for the W8 removes the top speed limiter, and bumps the rev limiters up as well, especially first gear.
Since you have the Tiptronic, you can also have the "stock" mode program as well as the "race" program for 100 octane fuel.
Locking the Tiptronic in sports mode really helps the GIAC programs get the most performance.
It isn't exactly cheap though - the performance program is 595 USD, add 50 USD for stock, add another 100 USD for race, and 150 USD for the switcher (though you have VAG-COM, and I presume a laptop so you can switch the programs that way and save 150).
Run the 100 octane program (on 100 octane, needless to say) with the Tip in sports mode and it will feel like a different car.
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
craig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 18:43
With the GIAC chip, did you do any airbox mods like they say to?

I'm more interested in the tip chip - I'm trying "sport mode" as per the PW instructions now, and I think I'll switch back. The sport mode seems to make the lag even more noticeable. I have to fool around some more and try some other codes, though - I don't see any difference between old tip and new tip with the code I used, and I should have ...

pistik View Drop Down

Quote pistik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 19:19
What is the proper SW coding for my car to lock tranny in sports mode?
2003 Passat W8 Sedan
Pacific Blue, Black, Tip.
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 23:35
I didn't do an intake when I chipped mine.
GIAC seems to put that disclaimer on all of their programs. I did change the airfilter, clean the slush screen and the airbox real good.
From what I've read, the Tip Chip doesn't seem to do as much as people expect for the money.
Blue Spirit/ Black
sledgeharvy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sledgeharvy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 15:41
What's the Highest anyone has attempted in a W8 after being ungoverned? I know the speed-o-meter marks 180mph but I know mine is governed at 133mph.. so.. I would like to know.. whats up with the other 47 mph...I think I'm being cheated... now granted I don't think I'll ever attempt that 180 not enough real estate in these here woods.. ha ha.. but I would like to see what it feels like to do the 150-160 range...
craig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 19:52
Originally posted by BlueSteW8

I didn't do an intake when I chipped mine.
GIAC seems to put that disclaimer on all of their programs. I did change the airfilter, clean the slush screen and the airbox real good.
From what I've read, the Tip Chip doesn't seem to do as much as people expect for the money.

I was thinking the engine reprogramming might have suffered that fate. I don't care about losing the speed restriction, and I'm guessing that raising the rev limiter can't do much unless the transmission is recoded to match. I'm sure you love yours with the 100 octane program, but no way can I afford 100 octane. How is the street program?

As for the tip chip, all I want is less lag ...
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 21:05
I've run one full tank of 100, but have been running 92 since then. God awful expensive at 5.39/gallon v. 2.49/galon for 92.
It does pull stronger in the "pump" mode - in March I'm throwing it on the AWD dyno in town. Sports mode bumps the shift points up rpm wise too, I think.
I think FirestarterGER has had his W8 up to 174+ on the track.
Blue Spirit/ Black
w8cmp View Drop Down

Quote w8cmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 06:14
Originally posted by sledgeharvy

What's the Highest anyone has attempted in a W8 after being ungoverned?

I got 167mph (on GPS) on the German autobahn last year...

That was after having fun throwing it around the Nurburgring just for a laugh (I've never smelt my brakes burning like they did that day...)
Current Car:
2010 VW Phaeton 3.0 V6 TDI
Beryllium Grey, Beige Leather Loads of extras

Former Car:
2002 W8 Tiptronic Saloon
Grey Anthracite, Black leather
Sold at 114,800 miles
Now resides in Uganda
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>