The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum Lockedflashing CEL with a rough idle??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tpedersen3118 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flashing CEL with a rough idle??
    Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 08:15
Hey guys, went out to grab a coffee this morning and as I accelerated up a hill my CEL went on and was blinking, felt rough as I was accelerating and also at idle. After a couple of minutes the light went solid but still felt rough. any suggestions?
tpedersen3118
2003 W8 TIP Reflex Silver
ThunderRoad View Drop Down

Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 08:27
I would suggest you read the sticky's at the top of this forum (P0011) ...also, I hope you have an extended warranty. I suppose your problem may be different from the Cam Adjuster issue...but be prepared.   

Edited by ThunderRoad - 18-Aug-2009 at 08:27
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 10:25
Originally posted by ThunderRoad

I would suggest you read the sticky's at the top of this forum (P0011) ...also, I hope you have an extended warranty. I suppose your problem may be different from the Cam Adjuster issue...but be prepared.   

You probably shouldn't jump the gun that quickly. It could also be a bad coilpack. In order to find out you'll need to have that CEL scanned for a code so you can find out specifically what is going on.
tpedersen3118 View Drop Down

Quote tpedersen3118 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 13:28
Well it ended up being two bad coil packs, just going to repalce them all sice I have the time and money. I called my local mechanic, apparently Audi is going to be recalling ALL coilpacks on ALL models from 1999 - present. He wasn't sure if VW would be doing the same.
tpedersen3118
2003 W8 TIP Reflex Silver

Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 14:08
Wow...that is great news. Congratulations on avoiding weeks of "car"lessness and aggravation!

Majorn View Drop Down

Quote Majorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 18:10
Those coil packs seems to be a huge fail by VW, my father have changed 3 out of 5 in his V5 in 5000km, a friend of mine have changed 2 out of 4 and I have heard from many more that it´s not a question if they gonna fail but when it will happen.

Good to hear that it was a "cheap" fix to the problem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objects in mirror will disappear faster then you expect.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 19:37
Originally posted by tpedersen3118

Well it ended up being two bad coil packs, just going to repalce them all sice I have the time and money. I called my local mechanic, apparently Audi is going to be recalling ALL coilpacks on ALL models from 1999 - present. He wasn't sure if VW would be doing the same.

Did I call that or what?

I love when W8 owners put threads up with anything pertaining to "CEL" or "idling rough" and some people automatically think/post the worst and you're doomed..."hope you have an extended warranty!"

Take a deep breath, be optimistic, and think simple. Just because you own a W8 doesn't mean you're a dead man/woman walking.

Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 20:02
It's kind of hard to be optimistic when your VW Extended Warranty has yet to approve a repair after the car has been gone for 16 days...

I'm happy in this case that the problem is not the "big" one. But I think it would be foolish to think that your car is immune.

If you own this car and do not have an extended warranty, you need to know that at any time you can be in for a $7500 repair. When it happens, there is likely no way around it after electric shock and flushing do not solve the problem.

It's interesting that the Cam Adjuster issue and the Coil Pack exhibit the exact same symptoms. Since I am not a mechanic, can someone tell me what a coil pack is and what it does? Also, what does that repair cost?

My last question, and maybe I'll start a new thread, is what are the top 5 or 10 common repairs? The big ones seem to be Tourque Converter, Cam Adjusters, and Coil Pack...are there others that I need to be on the lookout for?

pssat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote pssat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 20:06
Thermostat, radiator, o2 sensors
Majorn View Drop Down

Quote Majorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 20:12
The coil pack is (correct me if I´m wrong) the thing that brings up the voltage so the spark plugs can ignite.
I´m not shure of the price, but I whould guess somewhere between 50-100$, as with the spark plugs, it´s not the thing itself that is expensive, it´s the quantity, you have one for each spark plug.

A general problem with the B5.5 Passats that I know of, in Sweden at least, havn´t seen the problem on any forums world wide, is the locking mechanism in the doors, the locks works just fine, but the sensor telling if the door is open or not does seem to fail alot, I know many Passatowners that have locked in there keys because of this.
Otherwise I have nothing to add to that list.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objects in mirror will disappear faster then you expect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>