The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum Lockedflashing CEL with a rough idle??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flashing CEL with a rough idle??
    Posted: 22-Aug-2009 at 12:48
> but the sensor telling if the door is open or not does seem to fail alot

Heh, that's not limited to b5.5 passats, that's a problem right across the vw range .
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2009 at 12:10
Originally posted by ThunderRoad

It's kind of hard to be optimistic when your VW Extended Warranty has yet to approve a repair after the car has been gone for 16 days...

Look, I'm sorry that you are having problems so early into your W8 ownership. Some people have been broadsided with the expense and headache of one of the most major problem with the W8. There are some people that really don't know what they're getting into when they buy this car. I was one of those people. What I've learned (and some people that come here only to create a ruckus and complain, bring this whole forum down) is that you have to do your research. I had no idea what the W8 was, much less was "green" to the VW scene. This is my first (and not my last) VW. I love it.

I'm happy in this case that the problem is not the "big" one. But I think it would be foolish to think that your car is immune.

What I've learned in nearly 4 years of W8 ownership (and coming up on 1 year without an extended warranty) is to not jump to conclusions and think simple. My W8 had a hiccup that I thought might have been the notorious camshaft sensor, but it was more of my fault than anything else (changed to a different brand and weight of oil -- my car did not want!) If I let the "maybe's" and "what if's" overcome me, it would drive me to insanity (and I worry about almost EVERYTHING, lol). Can anything happen? Sure. The 1.8T's had a sludge problem -- do you think those owners had the same quips about their cars? Most likely. But you can't let it run your life. We've had some owners go through the unfortunate circumstance of the camshaft problem; on the other hand, we have owners here that have 150k+ miles on their car with no problems.

If you own this car and do not have an extended warranty, you need to know that at any time you can be in for a $7500 repair. When it happens, there is likely no way around it after electric shock and flushing do not solve the problem.

It has been said around here that an extended warranty is nothing more than peace of mind. Out of the 3 years my warranty was effective, I only used it 3 times -- o-ring leak in tranny harness, coil packs and valve cover gaskets. Other things replaced that weren't covered -- brake fluid reservoir and coolant temperature sensor. Things I consider to be routine maintenance -- axle boots and a battery. Have I been "lucky"? Yes, since I'm sure most people will just call it luck...I know it's hard to be happy and enjoy your VW ownership when your car spends more time in the shop than on the road, but not everyone that owns a W8 is going/will go through what you are experiencing.

Sorry for taking this thread off-topic (also realized I just made it all about me, sorry for the selfishness ), but I feel this needed to be addressed.
tpedersen3118 View Drop Down

Quote tpedersen3118 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2009 at 16:58
Just to let you all know, the coilpacks were about $21 each.

tpedersen3118
2003 W8 TIP Reflex Silver
ThunderRoad View Drop Down

Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2009 at 18:17
Originally posted by SirRangeALot

My W8 had a hiccup that I thought might have been the notorious camshaft sensor,

I'm curious to know what you would do IF (note the optimistic tone here :) the big one hit and the dealer gave you the $7500 estimate? Or worse yet, told you they will drop the engine and check it but at a minimum you're out 1500-2000 labor before they even confirm the problem?

Are our cars even worth that on the street these days?
ThunderRoad View Drop Down

Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2009 at 18:18
Originally posted by tpedersen3118

What was the total bill with labor etc.? Or is this something easily handled in your own garage? Just curious...
Majorn View Drop Down

Quote Majorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2009 at 02:45
I changed my plugs last night, which included removing the coilpacks, I just did it outside my house, just follow this guide: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224576
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objects in mirror will disappear faster then you expect.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2009 at 10:28

Originally posted by SirRangeALot

My W8 had a hiccup that I thought might have been the notorious camshaft sensor,

I'm curious to know what you would do IF (note the optimistic tone here :) the big one hit and the dealer gave you the $7500 estimate? Or worse yet, told you they will drop the engine and check it but at a minimum you're out 1500-2000 labor before they even confirm the problem?

I don't play the "if" game anymore. If it happens, it happens. I'll cross that bridge "if" it gets here.

Plus I don't take my car to a dealer, which quite honestly is a mistake to begin with. My "local" VW dealership is an hour away and couldn't figure out a few small things I took it down there for, but an independent shop found the problem(s) and fixed it (them) right away.
tpedersen3118 View Drop Down

Quote tpedersen3118 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2009 at 12:08

Originally posted by tpedersen3118

What was the total bill with labor etc.? Or is this something easily handled in your own garage? Just curious...

That was just the part. It's easy enought to do in the garage. They are hooked to the wiring harness, just pry up on the tab and remove. Replace with the new one and plug back in. Becareful when you take the left and right manifolds off, there is a thin metal gasket, check it, if it's broken replace, if not don't. That little thing runs $160.

As long as you are in there you may as well replace your plugs too.
tpedersen3118
2003 W8 TIP Reflex Silver
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12