Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedTop 10 Most Common Troubles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 10 Most Common Troubles
    Posted: 20-Aug-2009 at 10:33
What are the most common ailments for our W8s? I'll start the list...please help out and I'll update this original posting with the general consensus...it would be great to capture rough mileage timeframe and cost to repair as well...

1. Tourque Converter, 30K+, $$?
2. Cam Tensioners/Screens, 30K+, $5-$10K depending on one bank or two?
3. Coilpacks
4. Radiator
5. 02 Sensors
6. Thermostat
7. Steering Wheel Radio Controls
10. Seat Heater ( do recalls make the list? this one was a "hot" item for me when my pants started smoking! )

Some items I've had done but are probably not common...Rear Hatch Open Indicator Light failed, Backseat Ashtray broke (not a smoker, but if you bump into it it opens on occasion and one day it just broke), Steering Wheel Controls for Radio stopped working.

Hmmm, maybe this list of "common" doesn't need to go to 10...that would be good news...although #1 and #2 are doozies!

Edited by ThunderRoad - 20-Aug-2009 at 18:47
pssat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote pssat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2009 at 13:10
Backseat ashtray is a must! Thermostat as well. Anyone else have the leather on the front of the front seats pulling up? I've had fuel sending unit go out from moisture under the trunk. Also rear transmission seals were shot. What about CV boots?
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2009 at 13:12
I've replaced my radiator but coil packs are fine. I got the recall for the seat heaters but never did it since the are nice and toasty in the winter.

2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2009 at 14:12
W8-specific, or Passat-specific? I think you'd have a tough time coming up with 10 troubles that could legitimately be considered "common" to the W8.

Thermostat for sure (had mine done twice); I haven't noticed rads or O2 sensors come up as problematic. O2 sensors often get replaced during any engine-out work just as preventive maintenance, but I haven't seen many actual faults reported.

Many folks have had issues with the FIS (cluster) display (heat fade), and the steering wheel radio controls not functioning - again, though, not necessarily W8-specific.

2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
flea121 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote flea121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2009 at 15:10
I had my radiator and thermostat replaced at about 36k miles.
ThunderRoad View Drop Down

Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2009 at 18:46
Originally posted by B5crazy

I've replaced my radiator but coil packs are fine. I got the recall for the seat heaters but never did it since the are nice and toasty in the winter.

Take my advice...get that recall on the seats done. A year or so ago I pulled into a restaurant parking lot and my wife said...who's been smoking in your car, there is a big cig burn hole in your seat next to your leg. I jumped out of the car and you could literally see the sparks flying in there. I don't know what the recall process is but in my case, they had to replace the entire seat cover. New leather is nice but it is not aged exactly the same as the passenger. A year or so later and you really can't tell but for a while there was quite a mismatch.
Majorn View Drop Down

Quote Majorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2009 at 18:46
At 95k miles, O2 sensor is my only problem.
Don´t think anything have been changed, hopefully it wont need it any time soon.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objects in mirror will disappear faster then you expect.
ThunderRoad View Drop Down

Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2009 at 18:49
I wasn't looking for W8 only...just the things that seem to go wrong on our W8s. This isn't too scientific, I'm just looking for common issues for w8 owners regardless of whether they are common for Passats in general.
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2009 at 08:45
It's a good "question"... could form the basis of a solid reference post on "what to look for in a W8" - a question I seem to answer every month or so.

Take the Top 10, and then attach each item to a thread or post that discusses the issue, and possible solutions.

Originally posted by Majorn

At 95k miles, O2 sensor is my only problem.
Don´t think anything have been changed, hopefully it wont need it any time soon.

Is replacing an O2 sensor at 95k miles considered a "problem"? Some routine maintenance is required, after all - nothing lasts forever. That being said... what would folks consider to be a reasonable life expectancy for the O2 sensors (pre and post cat)? Does 95k seem premature?
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
Majorn View Drop Down

Quote Majorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2009 at 08:56
Originally posted by fitzski

Is replacing an O2 sensor at 95k miles considered a "problem"? Some routine maintenance is required, after all - nothing lasts forever. That being said... what would folks consider to be a reasonable life expectancy for the O2 sensors (pre and post cat)? Does 95k seem premature?

I meant that in a good way, ofcource things brake, unfortunately it´s to expencive for me to be worth fixing, the only thing it does is randomly throwing me CEL, complaining about a catalyst problem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objects in mirror will disappear faster then you expect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>