Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Exterior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedOEM mirrors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote staycyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OEM mirrors
    Posted: 05-Sep-2009 at 01:30
Hi W8ers....

I have a 2003 w8 sedan. I'd like to swap stock mirrors out and install replacement mirrors with turn signal. Found Kool-Vue mirrors that claim exact replacement and fit. My question is does the oem mirror housing accomodate the turn signal mirrors or would there be wiring required to connect the turn signal. what about a later model Passat mirror? Would that work. How much of a hassle is required to pull this update off?

double shot
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2009 at 02:36
I think the 04+ Passats have the integrated turn signals in the mirrors...why not just search for a pair of those? I would imagine all you would have to do is re-route the wiring from the fender markers to the mirrors. But then you'd have the pleasure of having to fill in the side marker slots after you are done. To me that just seems to be a PITA.

Unless I'm way off base and I misunderstood what you're asking?
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2009 at 10:48
Why not have both mirror and side is it possible? Would it transfer sufficient current for both of them to work? Staycyber let me know how it goes I been wanting to do that update too. thanks.
Majorn View Drop Down

Quote Majorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2009 at 11:26
I´ve been looking into swaping the mirrors to, I hate my stubby mirror, and if I´m gonna switch, why not go for the nice ones with turn signals, Electric foldable mirrors would be nice to but it involves changing the motors for the windows, so that might be to much work.
Please keep us updated:)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objects in mirror will disappear faster then you expect.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2009 at 12:15
Originally posted by R32Viper

Why not have both mirror and side is it possible?

Even if it is possible, why would you want/need both signals? Apparently you want everyone in the world to know you're making a left or right turn. But who really even uses signals anymore?
staycyber View Drop Down

Quote staycyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2009 at 18:25
I was backing out of my garage a little to close to the left side. Couldn't stop before f...in' up my left mirror. Also I drive too often with blinkers going after I make a short turn-which doesn't release the turn signal-so I thought that a mirror with a visual indicator of my belated intention to turn would save me this personal embarassment.
double shot
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2009 at 21:03
I think there is a part # in the parts thread for the mirrors
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2009 at 21:04

Kool Vue Mirror-Heated w/turn signal (needs painted but cool)
VW24EL Driver
VW24ER Passenger
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2009 at 07:49
Originally posted by Majorn

...Electric foldable mirrors would be nice to but it involves changing the motors for the windows, so that might be to much work.

Does yours not have the power folding mirrors? On your mirror control switch, can your rotate the knob to an indicator on the front edge (180 degrees from the defrost setting)? That should fold the mirrors.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
Majorn View Drop Down

Quote Majorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2009 at 07:57
Nope I don't have that, the smartass who bought a 50k$ car thought it was smart to save some money on not getting electric seats or folding mirrors, also it doesn't got a sunroof(It's sold in Italy so I find that bit strange)nor air vent in the glove compartment.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objects in mirror will disappear faster then you expect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>