The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Members > Europe
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

A nice drive out, and a not so nice event.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A nice drive out, and a not so nice event.
    Posted: 06-Sep-2009 at 12:54
My SO was off doing a mounted treasure hunt so i went for a drive in the car. I ended up in a very tiny place called Stronachlachar

It's where the steam paddle ferry arrives at the top of Loch Katrine, it's very pretty.

And the ubiquitous car shots

So i stopped for some lunch, and had a bit of a wander around, then the rain was coming in so decided to head home. Got about two miles down the road, weather was crappy, so only going slow, and there was an almighty great thump, followed by a grinding. Figured i'd hit a rock and got a flat, rather annoying.

First impression is yes, flat tyre, so i get the compressor out and start to try and pump it back up again.

No such luck, tyre remains flat, so i go back to look at the size of the pot hole.
It looks fairly innocuous really:

although i think someone else might have hit it before, as there was a handy ford wheel trim in the grass at the side of the road, so you can see how deep it really is

So i have a closer look at the wheel and realise that it's well and truly f**ked

So i figure given the weather, i'd rather have two full size wheels doing the steering, put the skinny spare on the back wheel, move that wheel onto the front, and drive off home again.

So all in all, a rather expensive day :(

Oh, and I'm supposed to be going on holiday on Tuesday evening too. Thank goodness i've still got the spare set of wheels in the shed...
Majorn View Drop Down

Quote Majorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2009 at 19:13
Oh, that didn't look so fun.
Just gotta ask, what color is your W8, It doesn't look like Inky or Indogo, is it Deep blue(this might be a name I've made up). It sure is pretty.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objects in mirror will disappear faster then you expect.
Majorn View Drop Down

Quote Majorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2009 at 00:16
In Sweden, one W8 only color was available, called "Djup blÄ" wich means Deep blue, but I'm sure it has different names all over europe, it sure looks nice.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objects in mirror will disappear faster then you expect.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2009 at 00:17
Originally posted by Majorn

It doesn't look like Inky or Indogo, is it Deep blue(this might be a name I've made up). It sure is pretty.

Definitely! I'm pretty sure it's an exclusive color to Europe also. I want to say it's called Fjord Blue...?

Anyway, that sucks man. I blew out a tire in the middle of winter and rolled on a donut for a few weeks. I was not thrilled in the least bit. It's a good thing you have a spare set of wheels. That is a nasty pothole, holy sh*t! I'm assuming you're going to get the wheel repaired eventually?

Thanks for posting the pictures too!
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2009 at 03:30
The paintcode in the boot is LB5R, which is listed a deep blue pearl, or R32 blue as it's since become known.

It was a very annoying thing that put a downer on what was a really good day out, well apart from the weather...

I don't think that can be repaired, the crack goes 3/4 of the way round, so I'll be rolling on the reps till i can source another madras wheel, i've already started looking but they're getting a bit scarce. I'll look into whether i can get compo from the council, although i very much doubt it.
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2009 at 08:44
i've never seen a wheel that split like that! glad you didn't have an accident
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2009 at 10:28
Originally posted by RobG

The paintcode in the boot is LB5R, which is listed a deep blue pearl, or R32 blue as it's since become known.

Wow, that's the same blue? It's seems to be much brighter, but nonetheless an amazing color!

Originally posted by RobG

I don't think that can be repaired, the crack goes 3/4 of the way round, so I'll be rolling on the reps till i can source another madras wheel, i've already started looking but they're getting a bit scarce. I'll look into whether i can get compo from the council, although i very much doubt it.

Sorry to hear that. I was going to say by the time you had it repaired (if it was repairable) you'd probably be close to buying a different set of wheels. Good luck, and keep us posted!
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2009 at 11:18
As i need it tomorrow for going away on holiday, it's going back onto the audi reps that were on it when i got it. They look ok, i just prefered the OEM of the Madras.

I'd love to get it on a set of Interlagos rims though, i really like those on the new passat CC's.

(Gratuitous whoring of car pic, these are the 'old' rims)

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2009 at 16:12
OoOoOoOo...aren't those S8's? Sick! Be sure not to hit any ungodly potholes with those babies!
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2010 at 18:08
Just thought I'd share happiness. I finally got to take those S8 reps off :)

Hope you like them, i know i do.

And yes, i will get better pics up once it's/they've been washed.

Edited by RobG - 09-Jun-2010 at 18:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>