The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Air Intake using K&N E-1009

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dumanehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Intake using K&N E-1009
    Posted: 11-Sep-2009 at 20:18
Disclaimer: If you break it, you pay for it.

This is my first DIY for any car I have ever owned and I have been around forums a long time... Finally I feel like I have something to contribute.

This intake is built upon Scottbob0's post here; Scottbob0's Original K&N Post

I had decided to use parts of the vehicles' original intake system to extend the K&N Air Filter (Part# E-1009) closer to the hood air-dam. I also cleaned the Mass Air Flow Sensor and added more Dielectric Grease to my MAF Connector.

Parts Purchased:
K&N Air Filter E-1009

Parts Needed:
Zip Ties
High-Temp Electrical Tape or similar
Dielectric Grease
MAF Cleaner

Special Tools:
Hacksaw or similar

Finished Product;

Step 1:
Remove your entire intake system, and remove the MAF sensor.

Step 2:
Follow the directions on the can and spray down the MAF Sensor, you will notice the shine return to the wire mesh on the inside of the sensor.

Step 3:
Using the top of the intake box, disassemble it by removing that inner "tube" via the single screw on the inside.

Step 4:
The removed inner tube and cut off the screw mount hanging off the flange. Pictured is the removed and filed flange.

Picture:
K&N Air Filter E-1009

Step 5:
Take the inner tube and insert the flanged end into the air filter. Secure the Filter to the tube via the worm clamp included with the air filter

Pictures:
Assembled Product

Step 6: IMPORTANT
Pre-asseble the MAF and the Air Filter Assembly to factor into the appropriate rotational position of the MAF on the Air Filter Assembly in the vehicle. Recognize that with this attachment setup, the MAF can not be rotated on the Air Filter assembly, and you will run out of room for the Air Filter, hood, and MAF Electrical Connector.

Step 7:
My found that using zip ties allowed me to disassemble the MAF and Air Filter Assembly inexpensively and easily. I ran two series' of zip ties to crisscross the MAF Sensor and the Air Filter Assembly, use the MAF screw mounts and the groves on the Air Filter Assembly.

Step 8:
I used Hi-Temp Electrical tape, because it was handy and black, to finalized the security of the MAF and the Air Filter Assembly together.

Step 9:
Use the Dielectric Grease on the MAF Electrical Connector, be generous.

Step 10:
Install your new "Cold" Air Intake.

::Future Considerations, Modifying the original Air Filter housing to act as the much needed heat-shield. ::

2002 Jetta Tdi
2003 W8 Variant
2008 Gli
irab View Drop Down

Quote irab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2009 at 02:28
Looks cool how does it sound. Does it feel like you unleashed some horses
Dumanehu View Drop Down

Quote Dumanehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2009 at 02:42
That is an understatement. I created this post before driving it, simply because I wanted to let my body relax and seamlessly forget anything was done. How could I forget? In idle she sounds throatier but clean, under any load and a blurp on the throttle sounds, feels and intensifies that urge to push harder.

I keep very accurate fuel measurements, a Tdi discipline, so I will update further.

I just keep wondering, is having the filter closer to the direct source of air, better?

Edited by Dumanehu - 12-Sep-2009 at 02:43
2002 Jetta Tdi
2003 W8 Variant
2008 Gli
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2009 at 03:43
Nice write-up! Thank you for doing that...I need this mod ASAP.

One question though...any worry of getting water into the air intake since there's no shield to protect water/debris from getting into the filter? There was a member here that had a GB for fabricated heat shields and I'm kicking myself for not getting in on that deal.
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
supokorean View Drop Down

Quote supokorean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2009 at 14:56
zip ties = friend
 Post Reply Post Reply