Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Rod bearings .. shame on VW..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BastiaanS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rod bearings .. shame on VW..
    Posted: 24-Sep-2009 at 10:40
Hi there,

At first, I would not believe that VolksWagen had let his W8 costumers down in a way like this.. But after checking with my local Dealer, he could confirm it (he could not believe it at first himself either)

So it seems, we are lucky to be able to order a head gasket, but bearings what so ever are indeed NOT available from the dealer.

(there are after-market suppliers who also are able to supply a head gasket and cilinder head bolts, (victor Reinz)) obviously cheaper than the dealer.

Back on the rod bearings.
Cars who do have problems concerning the rod bearings, are very likely to be scrapped just because of VolksWagen not offering these bearings.

Wich got me thinking..

Imagine if the bearings could be made by some sort of machining company. ( engine rebuilder etc.)

When made in seriesproduction, bearings like this usually do not cost too much. Material costs will not be super high, (labour higher). The main question is, howmuch work is it, for such a company to measure a bearing, and then machine a new simmilar bearing.

The story probably will mean, that a lot of W8's can be saved by new bearings. probably the price of one bearing is pretty expensive, but machining some extra will not mean too much additional costs. It would be wise to buy a lot of those at once.

Has anyone thought of this before? Of does enyone know if it's even possible?

Maybe another solution is to contact the original supplier of the bearings..

All the information (pictures, material, manufacturer, dimensions etc.) can be placed in this topic..
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2009 at 17:34
i'm not sure if rod bearing failure is that common in our engines. but since the engine must use two counter-balancers to keep the engine from flying apart, i would imagine that over the life of the engine that rod bearings would wear out with all the stress of the imbalance. just a guess...
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
BastiaanS2 View Drop Down

Quote BastiaanS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2009 at 05:09
I found a machining company that says when they run into bearings wich are not available from dealers and other suppliers they just fabricate them..
 Post Reply Post Reply