The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedThe fun and smell lingers on...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The fun and smell lingers on...
    Posted: 04-Oct-2009 at 10:51

Well, I suppose on Oct 1st, it was wishful thinking that my W8 was finally going to be ok after 9K in repairs. Check engine light came on this morning again. Also, ever since I picked the car up from the Cam fix, there has been a noticeable smell in the cabin. Kind of an oil/coolant/gas smell which has slowly turned into a mostly gas smell.

My theory is there is a small gas leak somewhere. Initially, the gas smell was hidden behind the oil smell which I think was residue burn-off from the main repair. It was also hidden behind the coolant smell which was from the Dealer's inability to properly clamp the hoses leading to a "blowout" and total loss of coolant one week after the CAM FIX. So, that smell was around for a while but now the coolant smell has dissipated and I'm still left with a gas smell. I have only gone through one tank of gas since the Cam Fix and my mileage was a dismal 15 mpg. If it was mid-winter I would accept that but it is still summer where I usually get 18-19.

I thought perhaps the poor mileage was due to the bad coils.

Now I am starting to get a little annoyed.

Do you all think I should be pressing the Dealer some more. I mean, what are the chances that the coils happened to go bad the day after my cam repair and those events are not related?

And now that I have had all 8 coils replaced and new plugs, and new fuel and air filters...why am I misfiring again? Albeit, not as bad as before the new coils but enough to trigger the engine light again?

Signed,

A W8 owner starting to question my future relationship with my W8.
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2009 at 19:49
your CEL is the best indicator that something is still wrong. you have every right to take it back and get it corrected. don't give up. after the cam adjuster fix, it should run great for many years to come!
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
Quantum Start View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Quantum Start Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2009 at 10:50
Another victim of Crowley VW and there inability to fix W8's.

I had the exact same thing happen. They said it was fixed twice and both times it started running rough. The first time they said it was because both tensioners had to be done at the same time.

Did you have both cam shaft tensioners done?
02 W8 Wagon Teal w/pearl grey
05.5 Jetta 2.5 Black w/tan
ThunderRoad View Drop Down

Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2009 at 11:23
Yes, both were done. I believe we spoke on the phone prior to my cam repair. Thanks for the advice btw.

It will be interesting to see what they come back with today. The good news is that the serv. advisor could smell the gas when I checked it in today.

Did you ever have that problem...a gas smell, after the cam fix?

Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2009 at 19:56
OK...time for a new diagnosis...drum roll please...I now have a leaky fuel injector. I suppose tomorrow I will be told that this has nothing to do with the prior repairs of the last 2 months and I will need to pay another $100 deductible on my warranty.

Boy does this suck.
Quantum Start View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Quantum Start Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2009 at 07:54
Saw your car yesterday.

What kind of wheels do you have?
02 W8 Wagon Teal w/pearl grey
05.5 Jetta 2.5 Black w/tan

Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2009 at 10:28
Hey...wait a minute...what are you doing back at Crowley? :)

PS. I bought the wheels from a website called edgeracing, they are now out of business.

Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2009 at 20:54
Just back from the Dealer...they replaced a leaky fuel injector. This is probably foolish on my part but I am actually confidant that they have really solved the problem this time...first of all, the gas smell is no longer...second, the w8 did not misfire at all on the way home tonight.

The other good news was that my dealer waived my warranty deductible (they ate the cost)as a goodwill gesture since they did not fully diagnose the problem last time when I paid the deductible. I will never know if the 3 coils were actually bad last week or if it was totally misdiagnosed. I'm not concerned with the cost of new plugs and filters as those were in need of maintenance. But I did also pay for 5 other coils since they were in there. So, it is very possible all coils were replaced for no good reason but seeing as though many of you have had to replace coils, at a minimum, this was preemptive.

My gut tells me that this car has now been pretty much overhauled and it should be good to go for quite some time. However, I still may unload it since it is coming on 3 years now and that is usually when the itch begins for something new...

Edited by ThunderRoad - 14-Oct-2009 at 21:11
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2009 at 22:17
I'm terrified of some of the VW dealers they pretty much do the job however they feel like doing it. Without caring if thats the right way or not some of the time I rather do the stuff by myself, knowing is going to get done right. Allthough the cam ajuster problems is not an easy task, and some guys don't have the time or tools to do it themselves.
I wish u the best of luck and if u notice something weird take it back to who ever charged u the money, make them get it right for you.

Edited by R32Viper - 20-Oct-2009 at 22:09
 Post Reply Post Reply