Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

What should I do with my Madras?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What should I do with my Madras?
    Posted: 20-Oct-2009 at 22:20
Rather have the madras that those. All the way!!!!
ben View Drop Down

Quote ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2009 at 11:37
How in earth your madrases have gone into that bad condition? What could cause that kind of corrosion? It looks like they have been swimming in an acid pool! That's not the result of spilled brake fluid, is that? There's some brake fluid damage on my grenobles but it is nothing that big...

Edited by ben - 21-Oct-2009 at 11:46
* W8 Variant -02 / 341000 kms
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2009 at 11:50
The Madras barrels are machine-finished - there is only clearcoat on top of the bare metal, no primer. The clearcoat simply doesn't bond that well, so it is easily compromised - especially being 2-piece, and as such having multiple bolt holes punched through the clearcoat envelope and letting in contaminants. Exaggerate that over the course of a few years, especially in daily winter use, and the damage is done.

It's the same issue suffered by owners of BBS Wolfsburg RXII rims.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2009 at 17:20
There were a lot of warranty issues re: Madras. LOTS of clearcoat issues IIRC. I want to say either Stewart or Tom had them refinished under original VW warranty...
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2009 at 08:11
Waaaay back when I first brought it to the dealers attn (~3 years ago), they offered to cover half the cost of refinishing. They said that normally that is something that would be covered under a 1-year warranty, and I was already into my CPO extended warranty.

I didn't go for it at the time, because I knew the problem would come back... but in hindsight... I shoulda taken the deal.

I'm anxious to get mine back... very nervous about how they'll look... if I don't like it, I may just sell 'em anyway.

Picked up 4 Nokian Hakka Rs last week as well - so I need some hoops ASAP!

And CRAP! This just reminded me that I'm out of warranty as of last week!!!!! I'd intended to go back for a couple of things (nothing major)... but got a wee bit sidetracked (3 week old baby at home!!).
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2009 at 20:30
Picked them up on Friday, and they look really great! They cleaned up super nice, considering the state they were in. I'm looking forward to getting them on the car.

Unfortunate that these are "demoted" to winter duty, but at least she'll look good in all seasons (note: not All Seasons!).

Only "casualty" is one broken rim bolt, and the shop doesn't have and could track down any. I'm not surpised it snapped, given the level of corrosion, but definitely miffed that a wheel repair shop doesn't have a box of these common (to multi-piece BBS rim) bolts lying around. I'll have to see if I can find one on my own.

2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
JTninja View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JTninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2009 at 05:26
Thats hot...wow...

Ive been tempting to make mine candy white
JT Tami
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2009 at 09:30
I am so jealous. My wheels look like sh*t. And they keep throwing balancing weights. Excellent photography. Are you using a 300mm lens?
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2009 at 10:19
They look excellent - my Atlantas could use some TLC, but then again they are Atlantas, and I'd rather replace them with something in at least a 17".
Tires are Yoko AS430s, and they still have plenty of tread.
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2009 at 11:56
Originally posted by JTninja

Thats hot...wow...

Ive been tempting to make mine candy white

Thanks; I wasn't sure how they'd look, but I'm glad I went with the gunmetal instead of just black.

Candy white with a red lip? Do it!    That was my thought for painting the winter steelies for my Jetta - cream with a red pinstripe.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>