Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

What should I do with my Madras?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What should I do with my Madras?
    Posted: 23-Nov-2009 at 12:03
Originally posted by squish

I am so jealous. My wheels look like sh*t. And they keep throwing balancing weights. Excellent photography. Are you using a 300mm lens?

Thanks... sunny morning, which was nice, but made it a bit difficult to show the difference between the centre gunmetal spider and the silver barrels... Nikon D70s with a crappy Tamron lens which I *hate*. I can't get a good handle on WB with this lens/camera. Full EXIF data here.

It's all about the prep; first few shots didn't have the rims "lined" up the same, and they looked terrible. After I set them up with the same rotation - much better!
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2009 at 12:05
Originally posted by BlueSteW8

They look excellent - my Atlantas could use some TLC, but then again they are Atlantas, and I'd rather replace them with something in at least a 17".
Tires are Yoko AS430s, and they still have plenty of tread.

I was in the same pos'n, re: refinish, sell, tires still good - hence this thread. In the end, I just didn't want to get rid of the unique-to-the-W8 rims, and was excited about trying something a bit different. Hardly a daring and bold move to go with the colours I did, but I like it, and think it will look sharp on the car.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2010 at 21:57
Up for pics (finally...)

Edited by fitzski - 14-Feb-2010 at 22:05
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
haktifosi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote haktifosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2010 at 22:08
looks great!
Silverstone Grey 2002 W8 Tip
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2010 at 22:43
Wow...those look AMAZING, Scott!
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2010 at 08:19
Nicely done :)
MRAJB View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote MRAJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2010 at 13:10
Wow..they look sweet!

Two questions...

Is the whole wheel done in Brakedus..err...the gun metal color? Or just the face of teh rim?

And are you lower valances smoothed and painted black?
Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2010 at 22:35
Originally posted by MRAJB

And are you lower valances smoothed and painted black?

I just noticed that as well...nice touch. To me it looks more like a gunmetal color than black, but that might just be a reflection/glare from the snow on the ground. Looks great either way!
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2010 at 09:37
Thanks for the positive feedback! Subtle for sure, but a nice little highlight. I'm happy with them.

The centre spiders are gunmetal all over, and the barrels (and lips) are bright silver.

Lower valances aren't touched... I think you are just seeing a wet pattern from having just washed the car, and it makes it look like it might be a glossy reflection.

Pics aren't great... very overcast day, but it was the only chance I'd had to wash the car, and it didn't stay that way very long (living on a dirt, gravel road).

Note in the 3rd pic as well... the plastic flap over the lift point tore off a while ago... anybody know if that's a stand-alone part, and have a part number for it?

Edited by fitzski - 16-Feb-2010 at 09:38
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2010 at 10:25
Originally posted by fitzski

The centre spiders are gunmetal all over, and the barrels (and lips) are bright silver.

They almost like they've been polished! The lips anyway...it'd be kind of foolish to polish the barrels unless you plan on taking the wheels off the car to clean them every time you wash the car...

Sorry, just thinking out loud.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>