Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

What should I do with my Madras?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What should I do with my Madras?
    Posted: 07-Oct-2009 at 22:15
My OEM BBS Madras rims *need* to be refinished (stupid machined-finish barrels). I'm gonna suck it up and keep them as my winters, because refinishing would likely cost as much or more than what I could sell them for (and they are worth nothing as-is - see pics).

So, what should I do? Silver barrels on black centres? Gunmetal? Satin black? OE finish?

For reference:

PS - FWIW, I never would have used these as my winters, but the PO did, and they were already crappy when I got the car, and had basically new snow tires, so I just stuck it out for 3 seasons.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2009 at 22:46
i feel the same way except that in the south we don't use winter tires. i love the way the wheels (are supposed to) look, but mine are so bad, that they are beginning to throw balancing weights. BBS recommends a place in town called wheel wizard that can refinish for $140/wheel. but mine are so corroded, they would probably charge much more.
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
haktifosi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote haktifosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2009 at 23:05
fix them (to oe finish) if you can. those wheels are the most desirable (in my opinion) for a sport packaged '03 or newer W8. to be sure, in the US (and maybe worldwide), the first W8's wore atlanta's as standard 16's because of the brakes and then the 17" madras were standard on the sport packaged W8's introduced in 2003 until the end of the run? did any other rims come standard for the W8 regardless of year? i love the way they look on the car. it's perfect.

Edited by haktifosi - 07-Oct-2009 at 23:21
Silverstone Grey 2002 W8 Tip
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2009 at 06:31
i've seen a total of four wheels offered on the W8. madras, atlanta, a 17" multispoke for the last year, and an 18" BBS that has fewer spokes than the madras (almost a five-point star look)
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2009 at 10:46
The 18" BBS VZ is the best looking, though the Madras is very nice.
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
flea121 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote flea121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2009 at 10:52
Originally posted by BlueSteW8

+1

I was lucky enough to have them on mine when I got it before I knew what they were.
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2009 at 10:58
Originally posted by flea121

Originally posted by BlueSteW8

+1

I was lucky enough to have them on mine when I got it before I knew what they were.

Lucky dog!
One of the nicest W8s I ever saw was a brand new 2003 Black/Black, 6 speed manual, with VZs and the Votex kit (minus the rear spoiler)
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
haktifosi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote haktifosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2009 at 11:09
good to know. vz's are rarest as well? can someone find a picture of what vw wanted them to look like on the w8? did they change ride height or anything like speed calibration? what size tires did they put on it? vz's look great, so do the madras. i had no idea 18's were a factory option. awesome!
haktifosi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote haktifosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2009 at 11:29
found. they look great.

fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2009 at 21:04
Went with bright silver rims/barrels with gunmetal centres (same colour as my RG-Rs)... I'll post pics when I get them back. It'll be another couple of months before I get them on the car, tho.

They would have done colour matched centres, but I'm not sure how that would have looked, and also would have negated any possibility of selling them.

I like the Madras, though I wish they were a couple of pounds lighter.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>