Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Exterior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Need help with the side marker lights!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with the side marker lights!
    Posted: 21-Oct-2009 at 19:06
It's driving me insane...I've done searches on PassatWorld, found a few great threads and even a video, and I STILL can't remove the side marker lights. I've tried sliding, prying, pushing, everything and they still won't budge. I did notice some people saying that some of the aftermarket markers needed to be sanded down to fit correctly, so could this be my problem? I noticed my back markers protrude in the middle of the lens, like it's too big for the slot.

So...what's the effen secret to removing these damn things?! I had the new smoked markers installed with LED's last year and two out of the four are burned out already...LED's should last longer than that...

Video

Link 1

Link 2
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2009 at 08:16
Exactly as pictured...

Are you able to push the leading, spring-loaded edge in, or is that what is stuck? If you can push that end in, but can't slide it forward enough to get the lamp out, try using a butter knife to give you a bit more force.

Worse case scenario... drop the bumper cover - lots of screws, but not really a big deal.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2009 at 12:31
Originally posted by fitzski

Are you able to push the leading, spring-loaded edge in, or is that what is stuck? If you can push that end in, but can't slide it forward enough to get the lamp out, try using a butter knife to give you a bit more force.

Worse case scenario... drop the bumper cover - lots of screws, but not really a big deal.

It pushes in, but it's not easy. Once you push the one side in, it just stays in the bumper and doesn't slide at all, and the other side of the lens doesn't pop out like it should. I have to smack the bumper a few times for the lens to spring back out again.
t0kie View Drop Down

Quote t0kie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2009 at 21:48
Jeremy, once you pushed it in, pry (on the other side that has teeth) & push towards the front bumper. You can also spray in the area with some lubricant like WD40 or soap water. Should come out.
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2009 at 11:15
2x on the soapy water to get them moving.
Steal one of your future wifes emery(sp?) boards, and file down the offending edges to get them to seat more easily when you reinstall.
I did my fronts with clears about 2 years ago, and the LEDs are still going strong.
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2009 at 02:21
Originally posted by t0kie

Jeremy, once you pushed it in, pry (on the other side that has teeth) & push towards the front bumper. You can also spray in the area with some lubricant like WD40 or soap water. Should come out.

I thought you had to push in towards the back bumper...push towards the back for the back lenses and the front for the front lenses? I'll try my luck again tomorrow.
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2009 at 13:32
You may try shooting some water into the area around the lens. I seem recall mine had a lot of winter sand in there impeeding movement.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
ErnestTeel View Drop Down

Quote ErnestTeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2012 at 10:42
Originally posted by SirRangeALot

It's driving me insane...I've done searches on PassatWorld, found a few great threads and even a video, and I STILL can't remove the side marker lights. I've tried sliding, prying, pushing, everything and they still won't budge. I did notice some people saying that some of the aftermarket markers needed to be sanded down to fit correctly, so could this be my problem? I noticed my back markers protrude in the middle of the lens, like it's too big for the slot.

So...what's the effen secret to removing these damn things?! I had the new smoked markers installed with LED's last year and two out of the four are burned out already...LED's should last longer than that...

waterproof light bulb

remote led dimmer

12 volt led dimmer
         led   strip!
 Post Reply Post Reply