The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum Lockedgoing to buy w8... comments?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Garfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: going to buy w8... comments?
    Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 19:50
Well I got mine, bit grubby but I'll soon get it squared away, I get a blast every time I am in it - why ?

Because for starters here in the UK the W8 are as rare as rocking horse doo dahs - my main dealer had never even seen one, I went there for a new aerial mast and half the dealership was all over the car and I mean the staff not the public, I have been going there for 9 years and never have they dropped all to come and look.

The mechanics want to know when it is due a service ;-) ... I wonder why ...

When I first got it I was a little timid but still thought it was quick, then I learned what happend when accelerator meets carpet when the car is doing 20 or 30 mph already - it takes off like a scalded cat !!

The stuff I have read in the reviews about handling are so much BS, it handles just fine, it is actually firmer than my old 5 series and bit more sure footed thanks to the 4 motion.

As for gas mileage - I average 30mpg on a cruise and around 23 round town - I could of course get it down to 4mpg but I wouldn't keep my drivers licence very long.

As said, warranty is compulsory, make sure you have a full dealer history, make sure the previous owner hasn't run it into the ground and maltreated it (such signs are easy to see in any car), if anything mechanical seems a little bit odd get a proper report done because as said also fixing these babies is not cheap, apart from that buy it and enjoy being part of what is quite an exclusive group ... actually I don't need to say enjoy it that will happen anyhow.

I have had Passats since the B3 chassis (more commonly called the B5 / B5.5) came out, the W8 though is in a different class all together.

Oh and the running gear is Audi RS4 - Audi Quattro - it was built in the Audi factory and not the VW one that produced normal Passats, it isn't the standard VW 4 motion as fitted to the lesser models (at least thats what I was told).

If you want another justification it is 50% Bugatti Veyron ... the Bugatti has 2 W8 engines combined somehow.

Edited by Garfield - 15-Feb-2007 at 01:52
w8cmp View Drop Down

Quote w8cmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 06:21
Welcome to the owners club !

Glad you're enjoying your car - it's nice to feel exclusive.

I get the same treatment from my main dealer too - and that's after 4 years. They all know me by name, and the service manager normally invites me in to his office for a coffee & a chat about the latest with the car.

He had visitors last time I was there, and as soon as he saw me, he asked if he could show them over my car ! Nothing like feeling like a celebrity...

There was a nice hardback book produced (all in German language) by VW specifically about the development and building of the W8...worth looking out for one on Ebay as they come up every so often. Comes with a nice CD of images too.

And yes - it's great to have half a Veyron !
Current Car:
2010 VW Phaeton 3.0 V6 TDI
Beryllium Grey, Beige Leather Loads of extras

Former Car:
2002 W8 Tiptronic Saloon
Grey Anthracite, Black leather
Sold at 114,800 miles
Now resides in Uganda
WestsideW8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote WestsideW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 16:53
Hey its great to have a W8
I really like the Pacific Pearl Blue, its a great color.

I thought I was going to need new front brakes cause the warning light told me so, but the sensor wire just needed replacing!

Stymie View Drop Down

Quote Stymie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2007 at 00:14
Originally posted by BlueSteW8

I'd seriously consider the one with 60,000 less miles, as long as everything else checks out.
79k miles on a 2003 is pretty high - mine had 34,400 when I bought it, Stymie's had maybe 21,000?

X2

esco, my W8 had 21,500 miles on it when I bought it, and 23,500 when I traded it in ten weeks later.

Go for the lower miles, the "Sport Package" seems to consist of the 17" Madras wheels and matching tires, and not much else, according to what I have read.

The W8 is a great car, buy one!
esco View Drop Down

Quote esco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 14:44
so why did you trade it in?

And btw, i went to the dealer, and he said the car was sent to the audi dealership for service since they only service Mercedes and Volvo's. Got to drive a sl65 and the new e63 amg... WOW. But I'm still waiting for a call saying me to come down for a drive.
Stymie View Drop Down

Quote Stymie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 01:29
Originally posted by esco

so why did you trade it in?

Old W8 - Tiptronic transmission.

New W8 - Manual transmission.

The difference is like night and day.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2007 at 12:35
Originally posted by B5crazy

People forget that the 1.8Ts have had a lot of probelms with coil packs, sludge, and timing belts breaking. The V6s have ahd cam seal problems. W8s on the other hand have been relatively sturdy. They are just expensive to repair.

BTW, Stymie, YOU SUCK!!! j/k =)
Stymie View Drop Down

Quote Stymie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 15:20
Originally posted by SirRangeALot

BTW, Stymie, YOU SUCK!!! j/k =)

Geez, where is the love?
I only drive it to church on Sundays, and never over 30mph.

Edited by Stymie - 24-Feb-2007 at 21:23
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12