The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

DIY THERMOSTAT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote schylarb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY THERMOSTAT
    Posted: 06-Feb-2010 at 10:52
Thanks for the fast response. I have reset the computer again to get this to stop for awhile. Is the code stored or will I need to wait untill it does it again?
Thanks.
jennbugbuttercup View Drop Down

Quote jennbugbuttercup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2010 at 12:45
I do not think the code is stored. You will prob. need to wait until it comes on again.
what if the hokey pokey really is what it is all about
schylarb View Drop Down

Quote schylarb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2010 at 11:33
What color should the coolant be? Mine is orange but the dealer said that is wrong and it should be pink or red.
Thanks
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2010 at 13:42
Pink
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
schylarb View Drop Down

Quote schylarb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2010 at 16:53
Ok problem came back. I put two new temp sensors in and two days later problem came back. I'm getting a P2181 code and since the sensors are new i guess i'll do the Tstat. I don't have a Bentley manual yet so i would be grateful if some one could scan or just send me some info. I would like to know the torque specs for the Tstat bolts, the 10 lower manifold bolts plus a tightening sequence, and the upper manifold bolts. Thanks
Topher1556 View Drop Down

Quote Topher1556 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2010 at 11:12
Originally posted by schylarb

Ok problem came back. I put two new temp sensors in and two days later problem came back. I'm getting a P2181 code and since the sensors are new i guess i'll do the Tstat. I don't have a Bentley manual yet so i would be grateful if some one could scan or just send me some info. I would like to know the torque specs for the Tstat bolts, the 10 lower manifold bolts plus a tightening sequence, and the upper manifold bolts. Thanks

Here's a concise listing of torque specs (with some good warnings...read carefully):

Intake manifold, disassembling and assembling

NOTE:

* When removing the upper part of the intake manifold (item 8), ensure that the alignment pins (item 12) are positioned in lower part of the intake manifold (item 13) and do not fall into the intake channels!
    * Cylinder bank 1 is located on right side in direction of travel.
    * Cylinder bank 2 is located on left side in direction of travel.

1      Vacuum connection

* below the throttle valve control module
    * from Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve-N80-, item 13

2      Seal

* Replace if damaged

3      Throttle Valve Control Module -J338-*

* Terminals of sensor and connector are gold-plated
    * 6-pin connector

4      8 Nm
5      Vacuum connection

* from Leak detection pump (LDP)-V144-, item 22

6      Vacuum connection

* from fuel pressure regulator, item 6

7      Vacuum connection

* from brake booster

8      Upper part of intake manifold

* when removing, enure that the alignment pins (item 12) are positioned in lower part of the intake manifold (item 13) and do not fall into the intake channels!
    * when installing, note alignment pins (item 13) in lower part of the intake manifold (item 13)

9      Intake manifold side-part

* Cylinder bank 2

10      Seal

* Replace if damaged

11      Vacuum connection

* for Secondary Air Injection (AIR) Solenoid Valve -N112- and Left Electro-Hydraulic Engine Mount Solenoid Valve -N144-, item 5

12      Alignment pin

* when removing the upper part of the intake manifold (item 8), ensure that the alignment pins (item 12) are positioned in lower part of the intake manifold (item 13) and do not fall into the intake channels!
    * when installing the upper part of the intake manifold, (item 8) note alignment pins (item 13) in lower part of the intake manifold

13      Lower part of intake manifold

* with alignment pins item 12

14      9 Nm
15      Ball pin, 3 Nm

* For engine cover

16      Intake manifold side-part

* Cylinder bank 1
tripwalking View Drop Down

Quote tripwalking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 10:05
Just finished mine... this guide was a great help. I didn't need to take the injector plugs out, but they look to be a different style than the ones in the pictures here. I was finished in about 3 hours, including lots of time trying to figure out how to get the injector plugs off before I tried leaving them in
Mine already had a hose clamp on the one vacuum hose at the back.

Quote tripwalking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2010 at 16:22
I also took a video of the "broken" thermostat opening on the bench with a heat gun and a laser thermometer pointed at it. Will post on youtube. This proves that the actual thermostat still works; it's the heater element that's causing the fault.
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2010 at 20:00
So the only thing that is affected is the "preheating" of the coolant in response to a wot signal from the ECU. I don't see why this would trigger the ecu to run the fans full force.
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....

Quote tripwalking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2010 at 20:54
Yeah, I guess it figures that if it's not able to heat to coolant quickly, it should compensate by cooling it at the radiator?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>