Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum Lockednew tranny?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote passion4speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new tranny?
    Posted: 23-Feb-2010 at 01:09
ok i had a thought ive been reading about what people say about the w8 all night on google and such and main reasons are the tranny. Now i was thinking would the pheaton tranny fit in are cars and that way less problems becouse they can handle the power and also maybe make it faster? anyone have input please its racking my brain i might go up to my vw dealer and ask them if such is possible . That way i would have less problems down the road and maybe upgrades to make more hp would make me worry less anyone have input?
vw4l

yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2010 at 11:54
I wouldn't even want to guess what that would cost.
And the Pheaton has a slew of it's own issues, none of which are better than ours.

Spend your money on an extended warranty. OR, just go buy a honda, they have lots of room for power improvements.

Ok I might have come off as a bit snide in that remark. I'm a bit bummed.

I don't think a Phaeton tranny will help you any, I highly doubt it would mate up at all. The big fail point is in the tc , an internal seal breaks I'm told. VW has even stopped using torque converters and has started using double clutch set ups in the new vw's.

Honestly a warranty is about the only thing I suggest you do to try and put your mind at ease. If you want to keep this car your gonna have to accept the possibility that you will have a big repair to do.

The problem with engine mods in this car is space, if you look under your hood there isn't anywhere to put things. Short answer if this car doesn't have enough go for you, you just need to find something else. Few guys on here have chipped both the ecu and the trany and gotten real gains with that. As well as aftermarket exhaust which is really just sound, but good sound.

Short answer, mods are few and limited in application. Body mods, discontinued, it already has the "cool" headlights. You could get the nice Riccaro (sp) seats, Europe had some really slick nav units too.

This just isn't a tuner's car. It's been tuned pretty extensively out of the gate. Your pumpin a lot of power out of a compact sedan. With an engine bay designed to hold a 6. They didn't just do the W in the name for sh*ts n giggles. This engine was designed to fit in the car, just fit.

I'm just upset my baby is hurtin. :(

Edited by yesimalex - 24-Feb-2010 at 12:25
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
passion4speed View Drop Down

Quote passion4speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2010 at 19:09
that sucks bout ur car man but i know what u mean by upgrades for the car but actually they have a turbo thats like a procharger that attaches to the back of your car and goes into ur intake i forgot the name my friend whos a mechanic told me about it that would be awsome and that plus tune would be massive power id take alot of things out on the road and also im thinking about a custom tranny instead becouse yes getting the dealership to do that would be expensive and yes i know that was one long sentance haha
vw4l

yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2010 at 19:57
Well check around that's all I can tell you, level 10 does tranny work too but I'm sure they aren't the only ones.

I'd be impressed if you could get anything into the intake without doing heavy, I mean heavy modifications.

If your going custom tranny go manual, sure fire way to get more "power".
Turbo DIY
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2010 at 20:42
Originally posted by yesimalex

OR, just go buy a honda, they have lots of room for power improvements.

And little torque gain. VTEC = Virtually Torqueless Economy Car

If you are really concerned about mods, you either need to get a 1.8T or like Alex said -- buy a Honda and mod to your heart's content. Just sayin'.
The_Supervisor View Drop Down

Quote The_Supervisor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2010 at 01:43
Originally posted by passion4speed

that sucks bout ur car man but i know what u mean by upgrades for the car but actually they have a turbo thats like a procharger that attaches to the back of your car and goes into ur intake i forgot the name my friend whos a mechanic told me about it that would be awsome and that plus tune would be massive power id take alot of things out on the road and also im thinking about a custom tranny instead becouse yes getting the dealership to do that would be expensive and yes i know that was one long sentance haha

Your friend who is a mechanic should not be working on anything other than my aunt's Lawn Boy push-mower that was made in 1944 during a copper shortage. There is no such thing as a procharger and nothing (not even custom) has ever been made for the W8 because it's such a large motor packed into a small space. There's no room for a turbo/exhaust manifold, let alone the space for the proper vacuum hoses, charge piping, intercooler, oil feed and return lines, or any other required parts for a turbo setup. You might as well forget about "taking a lot of things out on the road" with massive hp gains from this motor, because nobody makes anything for them for the exact reasons I've just given you. If you want a motor that you can change completely from stock to something that you can act like a jackass in, sell your W8 to someone who will treat it right and then buy a passat 1.8t or something.

ok i had a thought ive been reading about what people say about the w8 all night on google and such and main reasons are the tranny. Now i was thinking would the pheaton tranny fit in are cars and that way less problems becouse they can handle the power and also maybe make it faster? anyone have input please its racking my brain i might go up to my vw dealer and ask them if such is possible . That way i would have less problems down the road and maybe upgrades to make more hp would make me worry less anyone have input?

You do realize that for any transmission to mate up to an engine the bell housing has to match up perfectly? Not to mention that the axles are different, the differential will not work, and there are probably a slew of computers that would need to be replaced. Sorry but the "knowledge" you appear to have seems to be things you've just pondered and your own and with noone of any intelligence to steer you in the right direction, you assume it's fact.

/rant
VTEC: All the turbo lag without the turbo

2003 VW Bora 1.8T

-Cody
02passatw8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2010 at 03:59
Originally posted by The_Supervisor

Your friend who is a mechanic should not be working on anything other than my aunt's Lawn Boy push-mower that was made in 1944 during a copper shortage. There is no such thing as a procharger and nothing (not even custom) has ever been made for the W8 because it's such a large motor packed into a small space. There's no room for a turbo/exhaust manifold, let alone the space for the proper vacuum hoses, charge piping, intercooler, oil feed and return lines, or any other required parts for a turbo setup. You might as well forget about "taking a lot of things out on the road" with massive hp gains from this motor, because nobody makes anything for them for the exact reasons I've just given you. If you want a motor that you can change completely from stock to something that you can act like a jackass in, sell your W8 to someone who will treat it right and then buy a passat 1.8t or something.

You do realize that for any transmission to mate up to an engine the bell housing has to match up perfectly? Not to mention that the axles are different, the differential will not work, and there are probably a slew of computers that would need to be replaced. Sorry but the "knowledge" you appear to have seems to be things you've just pondered and your own and with noone of any intelligence to steer you in the right direction, you assume it's fact.

/rant

Thats pretty much sums that up. Lets close this post before it turns into super/turbocharger options or should I say lack of options.
passion4speed View Drop Down

Quote passion4speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2010 at 19:25
thats were ur wrong there is such a thing that goes from the back of the car into the intake and its turbo like check up on it then come back and say something
vw4l

yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2010 at 20:21
Ok man, lets not get all up in each others stuff about it. If you got information by all means post it up. It's just been the experience here that any mods are difficult on this car. Not impossible per say but difficult and expensive. Again, got intel post it up we'll gladly look at it.

No need for a fued.
Turbo DIY
02passatw8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2010 at 01:02

thats were ur wrong there is such a thing that goes from the back of the car into the intake and its turbo like check up on it then come back and say something

Yea they use them commonly on Corvettes turbos on the back. Retarded idea lose tons of boost, hit a pot hole oops there goes your turbo. Heres why it wont work 1. If you look under your car there is no room for a turbo anywhere down stream. 2. Nor is there anyplace for the piping unless your going to run it inside your car. 3. This motor would not last at all with any type of boost for very long. 20k for a new motor, thats a investment. 4. Then your talking tranny issues that I doubt level 10 would be able to support and no a phaeton tranny would not work. Read other threads unless you got tens of thousand to experiment with its out of the question. Sorry man your posts are hard to read and we are here to help. But please this is not a tuner forum for teens. We would love to see a turbo done but its not feasible. We are all friends here so let end the bickering.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>