Forum Home Forum Home > Members > Europe
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedI wanna live in Germany !!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Garfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I wanna live in Germany !!
    Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 12:35
Having this car and living in the UK and being compelled to do stupid 20 / 30 mph limits is killing me, damn car is barely ticking over .... stab the gas and I am instantly breaking the law, this is no fun at all.

It was easy in the 5 series, despite 230 horses that was kind of relaxed and easy to potter about in but this car just feels like it wants to be let off the leash.

I feel the need to be a Jim Carey and part the waters ... all these horses and nowhere to run.
dubya_eight View Drop Down

Quote dubya_eight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 13:56
Told my wife several years ago that I wanted to go to the Nürburgring during a vacation one year. Taking a lap with Sabine and doing my own laps are on the list of must do's before I die.

Can't even begin to imagine how much restraint must be used on most UK streets. I didn't get the "speed alarm" in the new VW's until someone explained it, then it made total sense. Not really a needed item here in most of the US.
------------------------------
2003 W8
Tip
Blue Spirit / Black
Garfield View Drop Down

Quote Garfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 14:43
It is a nightmare now in the UK, we have more cameras per head of poulation than any other country anywhere, and they aren't just speed cameras - it sucks big time.

It's a blast in Germany, you will have fun but she probably won't get it - it's all very male ... although some girls do seem to get off on it they are in the minority.

It is worth getting a copy of something like GT4 and get to know the ring a little before you go. There are holidays available with such animals as Ruf Porsches and M5's - the ring has to be done in German Machinery none of yer posey Italian nonsense ...

And when yer done the Autobahn beckons .....

Fastest roads in the world and also the safest, but the anti speed people don't want to hear that. What the Germans do have is the highest driving standards I have seen anywhere. OK so when they do wipe out they do it in style but statistically far less than anywhere else - and it is usually foreign drivers that are the cause or are involved.
coach_pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote coach_pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 17:56
"I wanna live in Germany"

Ha, ha, ha ....

Hey guys, please think about before you talk. Hi car and gas taxes and, hence, gas prices (Today: 1,32 € per liter, that's 6,- € per gallon, that's more than $7,80 !!!) are not really funny here.

And if you are interested to go on the Autobahn: There are only some routes without limits. More than 85% of the freeways are restricted.
w8cmp View Drop Down

Quote w8cmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2007 at 03:44
Similar fuel prices here in the UK. Shell V-Power costs 92p per litre...

Annual road tax is £210 (highest rate for high CO2 emissions - anything over 200 I believe).

And a speed or red light camera every few hundred yards designed to catch you and charge you more in fines...
Current Car:
2010 VW Phaeton 3.0 V6 TDI
Beryllium Grey, Beige Leather Loads of extras

Former Car:
2002 W8 Tiptronic Saloon
Grey Anthracite, Black leather
Sold at 114,800 miles
Now resides in Uganda
dubya_eight View Drop Down

Quote dubya_eight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 14:17
Yeah, I just wanna visit the 'ring. I have no desire to drive the on Autobahn. I have heard for a long time that it is not quite the playground many of us think that it is. I do wish that we would adopt some of the driving manners and rules that the Germans have though. Flashing someone to pass in America does not mean the person will oblige the request, and may even result in aggressive behavior in return.
2003 W8
Tip
Blue Spirit / Black
sW8iss View Drop Down

Quote sW8iss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2008 at 17:02
The ring is on my list too, and at only 11 euros, def. an option.

However, Sabine would probably just trash you transmission, and complain about how slow the shifts are ;)

-sW8iss-

<br
 Post Reply Post Reply